1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Lipkin Microbiome Crowdfunding Campaign Launches!
An ambitious $1.27m international, patient-led fundraising campaign storms into action. Sasha invites you to join it!
Discuss the article on the Forums.

XMRV in Spain News Item/Report From Spain

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by Cort, Nov 2, 2010.

1. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

Switzerland/Spain (Valencia)
    Lol... it really seems we're all like that. I've always thought it's just me. It will be interesting to maybe hear an explanation for this one day.
  2. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    Cristina Montane just told me that there is no study showing 70% of patients were found to have XMRV in them. Maybe it was that small abstract - but there is apparently no real study that did that. I edited the thread title to indicate it was a news item from Spain. We need to figure out what they were referring to - my guess is that Rita was right.
  3. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

We have no idea how large this study was and it doesn't seem to be published.

I found this interesting quote though:

See:
    http://niceguidelines.blogspot.com/2010/11/xmrv-in-70-of-me-patients-in-spain.html

If Vipdx or Red Labs wasn't involved, this is extra good news, right? It would mean hospitals are now finding it as well...
  4. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

Switzerland/Spain (Valencia)
    Yes, i think it is. But we don't know if they've used any sort of material from the WPI, which of course is not a bad thing, but to rule out contamination, it would be better if they haven't.
  5. ixchelkali

ixchelkali Senior Member

Long Beach, CA
    I thought the news story was just saying that the Hospital Vall d'Hebron is a ME/CFS center with about 1500 ME/CFS patients, not that they had tested that many for XMRV. The news story said the study was presented at the CFS conference, not that it had been published. I think it was probably that small study mentioned by Cristina Montane. The most interesting part was that they didn't send the samples to the US, which further weakens the contamination argument.

Let's not forget the other good news: that was good coverage in the Spanish newspaper. "At the conference the importance of the virus was noted, and that the response that occurs when the cell is infected seems to be the key to the mechanisms contributing to the development of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome." That's a lot less wishy-washy than most news stories have been.

And I think that "fatigue that invalidates the morning" describes it pretty darned well!
  6. urbantravels

urbantravels disjecta membra

Los Angeles, CA
    I think the original Spanish was *probably* actually saying something like that familiar phrase "fatigue unimproved by rest," but the goofy-sounding version is a lot more fun.

See more popular forum discussions.