1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 1: Autoimmunity and ME
Mark Berry begins a series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with a look at three presentations on autoimmunity
Discuss the article on the Forums.

XMRV in monozygotic twins discordant for chronic fatigue syndrome

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by Jemal, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21795004

2. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

This is weird? If I understand correctly they did find XMRV, but when they couldn't find it again they just gave up? Shouldn't they be worried about their detection methods?

3. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

Switzerland/Spain (Valencia)
    Or contamination. But then please find it.

4. FancyMyBlood

FancyMyBlood Senior Member

This is all they said in the FT about the one 'positive':

5. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

They cannot confirm or rule out... so basically they have no idea what they found. Could be XMRV, could be contamination, yet they assume it was contamination I guess. Why haven't they done more research? I know I would like to find out what was going on, if I found something like this.

6. RedRuth

RedRuth Senior Member

They assume it's contamination. The fact that they couldn't sequence is odd.

7. FancyMyBlood

FancyMyBlood Senior Member

Why is it odd? What could this imply? (total layman)

8. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

What could we conclude from this?
    Does this mean it was XMRV or could it also have been mouse material?

9. RedRuth

RedRuth Senior Member

The integrase is part of the Pol gene and codes for the integrase enzyme. It means the positive probably wasn't the result of non specific priming but doesn't rule out contamination.

10. RedRuth

RedRuth Senior Member

Well sequencing can fail for a number of reasons and they don't say how many times it failed but it could mean a mixed PCR product (non specific plus specific priming). These days sequencing is really reliable and I've only had problems when I've had contamination or non specific priming.

11. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

What i would like to know is if in the case of contamination it would have to be contamination with XMRV or wheter it could be contamination with mouse material that contains mouse endogenous retroviruses or anything else that could give a false positive.

12. RedRuth

RedRuth Senior Member

That depends on the specificity of the primers and the annealing temp but I guess the most obvious answer is that it's contamination by their positive control.

See more popular forum discussions.