1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and Beating the Clock
For Jody Smith, the ticking of a clock was enough at one time to chase her back to her bed. But with the passage of time, she has been able to reclaim her living room ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

XMRV: exogenous and/or endogenous?

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by fresh_eyes, Nov 12, 2009.

1. fresh_eyes

fresh_eyes happy to be here

mountains of north carolina
    This is great, gracenote! I hadn't seen it before.
  2. Alice Band

Alice Band PWME - ME by Ramsay

UK
    In 12 of these cases the CFS relatives were maternal, and in 10 they were paternal

from

Underhill RA, O’Gorman R. Prevalence of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome within families of CFS patients. J CFS 2006; 13(1):3-13.

Also from the same document (sorry it has lost the formatting)

Family members with CFS n/total % Family members with CFS mean (95% CI) p-value †
    Spouses/partners 6 /186 3.2 (0.7 to 5.8) < 0.001
    Offspring 12/235 5.1 (2.3 to 7.9) < 0.001
    Parents & siblings 8/730 1.1 (0.34 to 1.84) < 0.02
    All 1st degree relatives 20/965 2.1(1.2 to 3.0) < 0.001
    2nd & 3rd degree relatives 24/3216 0.8 (0.45 to 1.05) < 0.02
    All blood relatives 44/4181 1.1 (0.75 to 1.3) < 0.001

Maybe someone else can extrapolate from the data in that study. I think it came from Dr Jason. There are some interesting graphs

I don't know (for instance) what the significance of this is (bit it is unusual so I will mention it), the graph shows % of children with CFS and is split into male and female (approx 4% male and approx 6% female), now that is very different to the % male and female reported ratio we see in non-obviously parent CFS isn't that?

The graph also shows the data for male and female relatives 1st and 2nd & 3rd degree and the male female split is again a lot more even than I would have thought but not as close as the "offspring". It's hard to tell on the chart as the data is too small for the axis.
  3. fresh_eyes

fresh_eyes happy to be here

mountains of north carolina
    Thanks for posting this, Alice Band - do we know what criteria were used to define CFS in that study?
  4. Alice Band

Alice Band PWME - ME by Ramsay

UK
    CFS under the CDC 1994 revised case definition

The subjects came from the New Jersey CFS Association

Interestingly, it also says (about the CDC CFS group)

"
    Significant differences were seen between the prevalence of CFS in all groups of family members relative to that in the Chicago community sample reported by Jason et al
    "

Also

as the proportion of female and male patients with CFS relatives was found to be similar (18% vs. 19%).

See more popular forum discussions.