• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

XMRV: does this virus hold the key to myalgic encephalomyelitis/CFS?

LJS

Luke
Just published today, can someone with access to the whole article let us know if it says anything intresting?

Abstract:
In October 2009 a team of researchers from the Whittemore Peterson Institute, in association with the National Cancer Institute and the Cleveland Clinic in the USA, made a discovery that could potentially open the door to useful treatments for myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS). The researchers, led by Judy Mikovits, discovered a significant correlation between ME/CFS and an infectious retrovirus called xenotropic murine leukaemia virus-related virus (XMRV). XMRV is classified as a gammaretrovirus, belonging to the same broad family as HIV, but more closely related to a group of viruses that cause cancers such as leukaemia. XMRV is the first member of the gammaretrovirus genus of retroviruses to be found in humans; the research to fully understand the connection between ME/CFS and XMRV, as well as what it means to have the virus, is ongoing. The disastrous impact of AIDS on human health has significantly raised the profile of retroviruses as human pathogens, and XMRV has potentially serious health implications not only for patients, but also for those caring for people with ME/CFS.

http://highwire.stanford.edu/cgi/medline/pmid;20647985
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20647985?dopt=Abstract

aruschima

I know nothing
Thnxs, and if this text published in PubMed is very significant!
I also would like to get the full article.
Anyone?

V99

This was published in Nursing times and comes from someone who's wife has ME. It's not likely to cause a rumble, but will spread the knowledge.

ukxmrv

It's the Greg Crowhurst one from a nursing publication. I think that there is another thread on it.