• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

XMRV, do you have both CFS and another autoimmune disease?

omerbasket

Prior to being diagnosed with ME, I had suspected bowel disease (IBD). In 2006, I had a biopsy and I luckily got to see the report myself and it stated colitis.

However, after stewing for three months before I got to speak to my gastroenterologist, he just said my result was normal, and I probably just had a severe case of IBS. My GP was furious.

Five months later, whilst I was awaiting a second opinion at another hospital, I had what is described as a IBD attack, which was the most unpleasant experience of my life. Two weeks or agonising abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, and passing blood. My only regret was I didnt take myself of to hospital so they could see for themselves what was happening. Instead a family member paid for me to have a private consultation.

Eventually, my second opinion referral was brought forward, and over twelve months of further tests proved inconclusive. My GP was stumped, but said I may have gone into a remission. It still wouldnt surprise me if I did have some form of bowel disease, and I think it is quite poignant that Dr. M and Dr. Katz recently said that autoimmune diseases could also be linked to XMRV.

I recently watched a documentary were a person with bowel disease was taking steroids. But he suddenly became very sick and on deaths door. What had happened was, he had a parasite since childhood, and when he started taking steroids to reduce his immune system, the parasite flourished, spread, and almost killed him. This could explain how a autoimmune system could also enable XMRV to reproduce if a person is taking certain meds.
That is interesting, because I can think of a theory regarding my own health conditions. As I said, I am diagnosed with fibromyalgia and IBD (actually, they think it's Crohn's disease, but cannot be sure between Crhon's and Ulcerative Colitis).
Now, my IBD started a few months before I started feeling a really bad pain, which lasted for months (with some remissions during those months). Until today I can't fiure out if the pains that I have today are the same pains as then (but less severe) or they are different. Anyway, after some months with those pains I began taking steroids (Prednisone) for 2.5 months. Now, I can't be sure if that is because of the steroids or not - but during most of that time I felt much better. After the steroids I began deteriorating a little bit, but I don't think it had something to do with what happened to me on February 17th 2008: I woke up and all over the day I felt very very fatigued. I don't remember feeling fatigue before that date, and certainly not feeling that much fatigued. But since that date, althoguh there were improvements, I feel fatigue and un-wellness, in adition to pains.

Now, the theory might be the following theory: Let's say I have XMRV. Now, my theory here says that the XMRV caused my IBD, but for some months it sttopped there. When I took Prednisone - it might have taken XMRV out of it's latency, and it began again to replicate (or began again to do harm in some way). The infflammation was reduced and I felt better - but the Prednisone didn't take care of the cause - XMRV, and even made it more pathogenic (by taking it out of it's latency, or doing something else). Now, there was a gap of about 1.5 months between stopping Prednisone and starting to feel fatigued. My explanation (again, according to my thoery) would be as following: It is known that many times when a person is infected with a virus he doesn't start immediately to show symptoms. So - perhaps the viral replication of XMRV increased significantly during the time I took Prednisone, but the symptoms came just 1.5 months after ceasing to take it (and about 4 months after starting to take it). And then, I "won" a new symptom (and perhaps more than one, becuause it's possible that what I had before that date wasn't due to Fibromyalgia, and what I had since then was).

Ofcourse this is just a theory from a non-scientist...
I would like to hear what you people think of that theory - and especially what the scientists here think of it.