1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
California Conference Season 2014: Stanford Presents - Advances in Clinical Care and Translation...
The 2014 conference season began yesterday at Stanford, home of Dr. Jose Montoya and his team, and searcher was there to provide a live commentary on the presentations from an all-star line-up of clinicians and scientists and which featured some exciting new developments on the...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

XMRV, do you have both CFS and another autoimmune disease?

Discussion in 'XMRV Testing, Treatment and Transmission' started by wciarci, Aug 17, 2010.

1. omerbasket

omerbasket Senior Member

That is interesting, because I can think of a theory regarding my own health conditions. As I said, I am diagnosed with fibromyalgia and IBD (actually, they think it's Crohn's disease, but cannot be sure between Crhon's and Ulcerative Colitis).
    Now, my IBD started a few months before I started feeling a really bad pain, which lasted for months (with some remissions during those months). Until today I can't fiure out if the pains that I have today are the same pains as then (but less severe) or they are different. Anyway, after some months with those pains I began taking steroids (Prednisone) for 2.5 months. Now, I can't be sure if that is because of the steroids or not - but during most of that time I felt much better. After the steroids I began deteriorating a little bit, but I don't think it had something to do with what happened to me on February 17th 2008: I woke up and all over the day I felt very very fatigued. I don't remember feeling fatigue before that date, and certainly not feeling that much fatigued. But since that date, althoguh there were improvements, I feel fatigue and un-wellness, in adition to pains.

Now, the theory might be the following theory: Let's say I have XMRV. Now, my theory here says that the XMRV caused my IBD, but for some months it sttopped there. When I took Prednisone - it might have taken XMRV out of it's latency, and it began again to replicate (or began again to do harm in some way). The infflammation was reduced and I felt better - but the Prednisone didn't take care of the cause - XMRV, and even made it more pathogenic (by taking it out of it's latency, or doing something else). Now, there was a gap of about 1.5 months between stopping Prednisone and starting to feel fatigued. My explanation (again, according to my thoery) would be as following: It is known that many times when a person is infected with a virus he doesn't start immediately to show symptoms. So - perhaps the viral replication of XMRV increased significantly during the time I took Prednisone, but the symptoms came just 1.5 months after ceasing to take it (and about 4 months after starting to take it). And then, I "won" a new symptom (and perhaps more than one, becuause it's possible that what I had before that date wasn't due to Fibromyalgia, and what I had since then was).

Ofcourse this is just a theory from a non-scientist...
    I would like to hear what you people think of that theory - and especially what the scientists here think of it.

See more popular forum discussions.