1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Knitting Equals Pleasure, Despite ME/CFS
Jody Smith loves knitting. Again. She thought her days of knitting and purling were long over but ... she's back ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

XMRV Buzz - Take a Deep Breath/the Big XMRV Meeting, Singh On XMRV, Sample prep?

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by Cort, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    Twiving XMRV II

XMRV Buzz from the 29th

2. Sam Carter

Sam Carter Guest

I think the Japanese Red Cross team found that water could be contaminated:

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
    A positive band was frequently detected at the expected product size in the negative control (water) using primer sets to detect a partial gag region of XMRV.
    """"""""""""""""""""""""""""
    http://www.retrovirology.com/content/pdf/1742-4690-7-110.pdf

ETA: on rereading the paper I see they're not suggesting the water itself contained mouse DNA; it was the PCR test kit itself that contaminated the water.
  3. Sam Carter

Sam Carter Guest

He also said that even if XMRV was a genuine infection it was present in so few prostatic cells it was not compatible with know mechanisms of tumorigenesis and seemed to believe it may be a passenger virus.
  4. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    Yes, this is yet another argument...at least for the prostate tissues. If it is so rare - how could it be causing the cancers; particularly when viral caused cancers tend to be full of the virus....
  5. Cort

Raleigh, NC

Thanks Sam, I lucked out :D:D:D
  6. illsince1977

illsince1977 A shadow of my former self

If it is so rare can it be causing our illness? I guess better minds than ours (Singh, Ruscetti, Mikovits) are working on this, but I've wondered more than once how so few copies of a virus have such profound effects, or don't they? Please enlighten me, anyone who understands this.
  7. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Hi illsince1977, the short answer to your question is that nobody knows how XMRV could be causing our illness, or cancer, at least not right now.

This does not mean that there aren't plausible hypotheses, only that they aren't proven (unless some researchers are awaiting publication of course).

The first is that ME/CFS might be a reaction to XMRV. Immunological and biochemical changes to the local tissues might promote cancer formation or growth. Systemic changes (hormonal, immunological, neurological) might induce ME/CFS symptoms. The body tries to fight the virus, but can't win because it is a retrovirus.

The second is that the neurotoxic envelope of XMRV might be attacking the nervous system. While we find that XMRV is rare, we don't know how much envelope is being produced. It might be a lot. Indeed, this envelope could induce the problems I mentioned in the first hypothesis.

I don't doubt there are more explanations: we just have to find and test them.

Bye
    Alex
  8. Cort

Raleigh, NC

it could that there they are looking at cells it cam't replicate in - which is true. Dusty Miller has said it should be able to infect nerve cells - so you could have a nice infection up there and very little i nthe blood
  9. Sean

Sean Senior Member

And hence -myelitis?

;)
  10. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    Yes! He thinks XMRV fits a viable profile for causing CFS - if they can prove its there....XMRV is so tantalizing really - it can infect infect nerve cells.....just gotta get over the hump!
  11. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    XMRV Buzz Jan 4th

12. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    XMRV Buzz Jan 4th

13. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    An addition

14. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Ouch... a Dusty Miller thread just came up in one of my random XMRV searches. It seems like there are a few people who really like tearing in to the guy. I may have missed the context, but it looked pretty unfair to me.
  15. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    It's astonishing he's ...a good friend of Dr. Silverman....and Sandra Ruscetti and the folks on the ME/CFS Forums are tearing him a new one....he and a grad asst who tried to defend their pilot study on XMRV went on the Forum to explain and they are off now and will not be coming back...it an amazing turn of events to me and to them and to ecoclimber who is helping fund the study and just wanted to get an experienced MLV retrovirologist involved....That study has not been officially announced and when it is we'll take it from there.
  16. urbantravels

urbantravels disjecta membra

Los Angeles, CA
    There is a certain contingent of the ME/CFS community that is so angry and paranoid that you basically can't do anything right - unless you're the WPI, in which case you can't do anything wrong. Maybe someday we'll learn not to cut off our noses to spite our faces.
  17. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I'm angry and paranoid... given the way CFS has been treated it's hard not to be, but this Dusty Miller seems fine to me. He was making some nice understated posts in the thread I read, which just made the aggression of the replies even more absurd. Oh well.
  18. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Sad but very true, and it has to be said. Being so partisan and ideologically pure, and incapable of reasonable productive compromise, is a sure path to impotence and irrelevance.

Sometimes I think we patients are our own worst enemy. Being the victim does not give us a free pass to behave like irrational arseholes. I understand why patients might behave like that at times, we are only human and have been pushed way past our reasonable limits. But such behaviour does not advance our cause one jot. It just plays straight into the hands of hardcore psychs and pseudo-sceptics, further entrenches the view that we are delusional and unpleasant to deal with, and worst of all it drives away competent decent people who could help us.
  19. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    I'm guilty, but you are exactly right. Very well said, Sean! Thanks
  20. leaves

leaves Senior Member

I dunno, I'm sure Miller means well, but I don't think I'm going to give him blood. We need a replication study. stakes are too high, we can't afford the risk.

See more popular forum discussions.