1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
California 2014: IACFS/ME Day Three: Translating Science into Clinical Care: 22 March 2014
Day Three, and Searcher continued to deliver the goods. We hear about the PANDORA national survey results, a very big familial case study from Spain, results from the Canadian Community Health Survey, more results from epidemiological studies (and a look at treatments and...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

XMRV Buzz - Take a Deep Breath/the Big XMRV Meeting, Singh On XMRV, Sample prep?

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by Cort, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    A Big Buzz from a Big Day

2. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    Thanks for the info Cort.
    I'm wondering if it's wise for me to get excited about the BWG's Phase II announcement...
    It could be a very very big day for us...
    But then again... We keep getting disappointed by the speed of progress with XMRV research, and I wouldn't be surprise if they had an 'inconclusive conclusion' to announce, such as "We've completed the Phase II study, but the results are inconclusive."
    Oh well, only a couple of days to wait now.
  3. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    I guess we'll know when we know :). I feel the same way.....
  4. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    XMRV Buzz: Racaniello Retracts/Miller Jumps In/Retrovirologist Superteam To Form Rebuttal/Annette, Judy on Nevada Newsmakers

5. lancelot

lancelot Senior Member

southern california
    nice update cort

" Dr. Dusty Miller respected Retrovirologist Tackles XMRV/Retrovirology ‘Superteam’ Formed"

Looks like the US is going to bring home the GOLD. Suck it McClure!
  6. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    The thing is that Dusty Miller is an old hand at murine retroviruses and he is working at one of the top Institutions in the country...and if he's convinced a) that XMRV is worth a deeper look (after all this) and is going to go to the time and effort to do that - that's a really good sign.

That he's joining the 'Superteam' is even better. I expect to see a strong rebuttal coming out at some point, I would guess in a future edition section of Retrovirology.
  7. lancelot

lancelot Senior Member

southern california
    I've seen Dusty Miller rebuttal McClure in the comments sections of some XMRV papers in the past. Do you know all the players in the US XMRV Superteam? McClure would be better off listening to her own advice of not being involved in CFS ever again, but it looks like she will not be happy until she digs herself a palatial hole.

A battle is brewing between a US XMRV Superteam and a UK XMRV Shameteam. Silly brits, Americans always win!
  8. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    reading the first few pages of this thread and I just wanted to say... whatever LeGrice may think about XMRV and whether or not we like his opinion on that, he is working on replicating Lerner's very important work. (I still can't figure out why no one has done this previously, since his papers are so astounding!) But I see Lerner's work as very important.

Even if it's XMRV and not so much EBV, the viral heart stuff is extremely important, and Lerner felt it could be a biomarker. If perchance XMRV turns out not to be causative, then someone is already working on another virus.

Even though LeGrice is not a friend of MRV, I believe he is a friend of the ME/CFS patient community.
  9. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    This Superteam stuff is quite interesting and exciting. Thanks for the info, Cort. (and thanks for the mention... not sure if I deserve that; was just trying to explain PCR and making basically [semi-educated] guesses).
  10. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    LeGrice is! I had no idea. Wow - that is good news.....If he is doing that he is a great friend of the ME/CFS community... He has gotten dragged in to ME/CFS...Houghton I believe is interested in this as well...this is a very good sign....Willow I kiss your bark!
  11. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    And then they cooly observe, "you're rather teary, dear. are you depressed?" No, but how can I tell you all about my disease without shedding a tear or two?
  12. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    Well, I'm pretty sure it was him. I thought it was here at PR I read about it. Like all of us my memory isn't too keen, especially short-term memory, but until you didn't know, I was sure it was him. Now I have a small doubt but still 90% sure it's LeGrice. It was definitely someone who hated the XMRV theory.
  13. Otis

Otis Señor Mumbler

USA
    I'd be most interested if you're able to dig up an old post, I'll search a little myself as you've piqued my curiosity.
  14. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    I can't find anything about it, now (searching the Internet, but PR usually comes up fairly well on Google). Maybe I was thinking of Glasier? Only I was sure it was something new and connected to the viral cardiomyopathy specifically, and NIH-funded. And that the name had a G in it. :D And I really thought it was LeGrice...
  15. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    It did and they were both at that meeting! I'll bet it's Houghton; he was very intrigued by Lerner's study and questioned him about it....Glaser is an investigator who's really interested in EBV but I don't think he has the clout to take on something like that...Houghton may....He later told me that he really wanted to help get a trial going. I don't know if he's able to or not - but it was a good sign that he was really intrigued by it....... LeGrice is now a member of the CFS Working Group - another big name XMRV has dragged in. Houghton won the Lasker award some time back by the way.....:)
  16. George

George waitin' fer rabbits

South Texas
    Maybe you were thinking about LeGrice's connection with NIH SAIC and the tool kit development?

And I can't find it now but there was a comment that LeGrice made on the SAIC website about the patient community being very amandant about looking into the virus. I think it was on that web site? It's hard to say some times. (grins)
  17. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    I feel like I'm in an alternate reality from you all... :headache: (sad Scotsman here, or sad Scots lass) ... but I really want to say I read Houghton was working with Lerner in further research (so that couldn't be the replication), and I still think I read LeGrice was doing a replication and had a definite grant from NIH.

I really hope I didn't dream that all :D

George, thanks for the interesting info (although the toolkit links don't work)... but I was thinking of something connected to EBV/cardiomyopathy, not specifically to XMRV.

Or I thought I was.... :confused:

:(

:D

well, Merry Christmas to anyone who celebrates!
  18. illsince1977

illsince1977 A shadow of my former self

If it were easy to determine the cause of our illness via mechanized, high throughput lab tests, I think we would have had answers long ago. As Ila Singh said (paraphrasing here) the low hanging fruit has already been picked.

I'm tempted to deduce that although many labs may be very good at the techniques they use, those techniques haven't yielded useful discoveries for ME/CFS, so restricting yourself to those techniques may never produce any answers. The older technology is not necessarily the inferior technology. Each technique obviously has its drawbacks. However, newer does win out if its uncritically accepted as better simply by virtue of being newer and if older techniques are no longer taught to young researchers. Then anyone who develops a "new" malady that PCR doesn't pick up is cooked! That is until science comes to the rescue with some newer, more sensitive technology. But science fell off its white horse long ago for me because it is people who create and use the science, and these people and their theories, techniques and conclusions are evidently flawed, whether they admit it to themselves (or to us like Racaniello commendably did) or not!

It's difficult as patients to take any scientist seriously whose starting point is that there is nothing to be found and won't admit to limitations in their tools. How does anyone deserve the benefit of the doubt who has not given us and what we tell them is going on in our bodies the benefit of the doubt?
  19. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    Dr. Lange talked about 'trends' in brain imagining that she thought were not particularly helpful for ME/CFS. It sounds like review boards like to see the hot new technology....
  20. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    Twiving XMRV

XMRV Buzz from the 27th

See more popular forum discussions.