1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Leptin
Andrew Gladman reflects upon the recent IACFS/ME conference and the buzz surrounding a small molecule, leptin.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

XMRV Buzz - Take a Deep Breath/the Big XMRV Meeting, Singh On XMRV, Sample prep?

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by Cort, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC

Illness and Inflammation! Good one! ;);)
  2. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    Dec 8th XMRV Buzz

XMRV Buzz from Dec 8th

3. LJS

LJS Insert Witty Comment Here

East Coast, USA
    Great so December will be a good month for some new data. We get the Spanish news tomorrow and BWG findings next week.
  4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I hope the BWG meeting will bring forth an announcement too. Even if it is confused and uncertain, we should be allowed to know what they do.
  5. urbantravels

urbantravels disjecta membra

Los Angeles, CA
    New news tomorrow and next week. May it be so. I'm starved for some new science.
  6. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    I am too - it's been a long time....:In bed::In bed:

I hope the BWG gives us something definitive but at least we will find out, as Esther notes, something! They have to report something - so we will, at least, find out where they are. :D
  7. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    Hey Cort - Do you know when Dr. Baranuk is going to release or publish the "Spinal Fluid" study?
  8. urbantravels

urbantravels disjecta membra

Los Angeles, CA
    I probably haven't been paying close enough attention, but I didn't realize that the Blood Products Advisory Committee is also considering deferral (banning) of blood donors with past or current history of prostate cancer, as well as those with CFS.

I can't help but think that will make a bigger splash than just deferring PWCs alone. And if the media reports say "a virus associated with prostate cancer and chronic fatigue syndrome" that will catch way more people's attention than if it were just about CFS.
  9. Cloud

Cloud Guest

We have tons of great material for comics. Fabulous Fury Freak Brothers would have nothing on us!
  10. Cloud

Cloud Guest

I agree, but it may also be confusing because those 2 diseases would seem entirely unrelated to John Q public. I think "causes CFS and Cancer" is much more powerful....and sounds like where the research is going.
  11. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    When I saw him at the CFSAC meeting it sounded to me like it would be real soon but I think 'soon' has a different meaning the research community :). He did say the results were good - which is great news particularly since he expanded the study into new areas I think

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
  12. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

Switzerland/Spain (Valencia)
    Yes... if we had only half of the results that have been announced, i would already be happy. There's a lot that should be released "soon". Some time ago it was said that by the end of the year, things should be a lot clearer. It's not very far away anymore and we don't know much more yet.
  13. CBS

CBS Senior Member

Western US
    Don't be too surprised if we learn that low blood volume in at least some patients is due directly to mid-brain/CNS nerve damage. Sleep, cardiac, SOB and digestive problems too. My concerns fall much more squarely in the permanent neural damage camp.
  14. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

I am getting a bit frustrated as well. Science seems to move at a snail's pace. New people are getting CFS every day and we keep on getting older... so many are spending their lives in some sort of waiting room. Sigh.
  15. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    Agreed no one is getting any younger and the Baraniuk study has been years in the making; not his fault, of course, he is totally dedicated to ME/CFS but one researcher alone can only move so fast...and that's the crux of the matter...when you have such low interest in a disorder and such low research dollars available then you often have one researcher taking on one topic at a time.. which means that validating anything takes years and years! Imagine if we had real research interest - someone would have jumped on Baraniuks finding immediately and we would have validation studies going left and right; the situation would have been (relatively quickly resolved) and if the result was positive they would have dug deeper.

As it is sometimes we have positive results and interesting findings that go UNTESTED! It's remarkable to see a positive result just sit there and have nothing happen. That's supposed to happen with negative results - not positive results......
  16. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    The Buzz From Spain

The Report from Spain was rather dry (to say the least :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:) but I thought it was good news. http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150109301955915&id=100000436316743

17. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    Mikovits Talks

Dec 8 Buzz - Part II

18. omerbasket

omerbasket Senior Member

I don't remember that it was described later of something of mistake. Quite the contrary: I remember reading an abstract saying that the WPI found XMRV in 14 out of 17 children with autism.
  19. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    I meant it was considered a mistake to state that when they didn;t have published material on it. My mistake.
  20. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Thanks CBS - I'm pretty convinced mid brain/CNS nerve damage too looking back. I recall not being able to lie on the back of my head at one stage and concurrent aural and visual problems and severe gut difficulties.

See more popular forum discussions.