• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

XMRV & Blood Supply Webinar Tuesday, Mar 29

alex3619

Caretakers? I dont remember anything about caretakers - maybe because its a term we dont really use in England in this context. Caretakers polish floors in schools and put away chairs.

Hi currer, you are quite right I wanted to say caregivers, but did the switch a word thing. Urbantravels is correct also. Judy talked about contact controls, but she referred indirectly to family and close contacts I think - maybe someone watching it again can comment?

Bye
Alex

cigana

In the Q&A session she said that it was reported in a closed meeting a few weeks ago that XMRV had been found integrated into patient DNA including flanking sequences.

currer

Hi Alex,
thanks for correcting the caretakers thing - it gave rise to a few strange images in my mind! I mised this bit on the original talk because my sound cut out at that point.
I'm tired now all the excitement is over. I will listen again once my energy is back. I notice the threads are quiet at the moment - a lot of people have crashed out, I think!
Anyway it is all good news in my book, Mikovits was impressive. Her research is so thorough a few PCR studies canot dent it.

Hi currer, you are quite right I wanted to say caregivers, but did the switch a word thing. Urbantravels is correct also. Judy talked about contact controls, but she referred indirectly to family and close contacts I think - maybe someone watching it again can comment?

Bye
Alex

asleep

I was a little put off by Lipkin's somewhat gratuitous posturing as "the guy they pay to be objective and agnostic." I absolutely hope he behaves that way, but all sorts of sirens go off when people start telling me how they are.

I hope Lipkin does not behave reminiscent of certain moderators here, who constantly tell us how objective they are despite being consistently and maximally negative toward XMRV and the WPI.

Sing

For Willow and anyone else who is interested in Epigenetics, I found some interesting, clear, helpful videos by googling NOVA and epigenetics. So this is how DNA is modified but then it can be modified back, as shown in some experimental cancer treatments.

shannah

An update on the status of the NIAID-funded study of XMRV in CFS patients:

"Dr. Lipkin added later to those in attendance that study costs had risen to $2.6 million and that 300 subjects will be enrolled."

(from CAA FB page)

Sasha

Fine, thank you
In the Q&A session she said that it was reported in a closed meeting a few weeks ago that XMRV had been found integrated into patient DNA including flanking sequences.

I can't pretend to remotely understand the science but wasn't this being flagged up as the holy grail a while back in terms of proving that the XMRV findings aren't contamination? That is, that XMRV would need to be found integrated into DNA including flanking sequences?

I've been off the forums for a while but don't recall seeing this announced previously.

Is this big news or have I missed something? No-one seems particularly excited by this remark of cigana's!

urbantravels

disjecta membra
Probably because Dr. M's talk went by so fast that most of us missed most of it! I don't remember her saying this, but that doesn't mean she didn't say it. There is supposed to be some kind of "archive" released later of the whole program, but I'm not clear whether they will make videos and/or a transcript available.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Hi urban - maybe that's it! I wonder if there are rules on reporting stuff that comes out during a closed session (I was surprised to see anything!).

Can't believe how long we've been waiting for answers on this now. It probably feels a very short timescale to the scientists involved but for us, we've been waiting over 18 months to find out whether we are carrying a retrovirus. The stress! I hope somebody's (I forget which major name) estimate of "we'll know in six months" is accurate.

ixchelkali

I can't pretend to remotely understand the science but wasn't this being flagged up as the holy grail a while back in terms of proving that the XMRV findings aren't contamination? That is, that XMRV would need to be found integrated into DNA including flanking sequences?

I've been off the forums for a while but don't recall seeing this announced previously.

Is this big news or have I missed something? No-one seems particularly excited by this remark of cigana's!

I'm guessing she was refering to Dr. Urnovitz's (Chronix Biomedical Labs) "chimera" that Dr Lapp talked about. It was discussed here. I don't think we can really get excited about it until it's published.

That is big news and will put the contamination campaign to rest.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
Hi WillowJ, thanks. I put this together in a hurry, and didn't edit out all the bits properly - so the extra itp got in because I forget to delete that part of my notes. My notes were much more extensive, but I only mentioned the interesting stuff, and now its online for all to watch.

Bye
Alex

thanks so much for the interesting stuff in the preview! I really appreciate that you took the time and effort to do that.

So nice that it's on youtube now... will watch as soon as I can (which won't be until later, sadly...)

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
For Willow and anyone else who is interested in Epigenetics, I found some interesting, clear, helpful videos by googling NOVA and epigenetics. So this is how DNA is modified but then it can be modified back, as shown in some experimental cancer treatments.

thanks! I'll try that when my brain comes back, maybe in a week or so :)

urbantravels

disjecta membra
That is big news and will put the contamination campaign to rest.

NOTHING will put the contamination campaign to rest until it's been published. Saying stuff at meetings doesn't count. Darkly alluding to a drawer full of unpublished work doesn't count.

Honestly, would it kill anybody at WPI to just go ahead and put some stuff up on PLOSOne or something? Are they holding out for another Science or PNAS equivalent publication? Or is something *actually* in the publication pipeline at this time?

LJS

Luke
NOTHING will put the contamination campaign to rest until it's been published. Saying stuff at meetings doesn't count. Darkly alluding to a drawer full of unpublished work doesn't count.

Honestly, would it kill anybody at WPI to just go ahead and put some stuff up on PLOSOne or something? Are they holding out for another Science or PNAS equivalent publication? Or is something *actually* in the publication pipeline at this time?

I agree, they desperately need to get this data out there in a peer reviewed publication. The only way I see the science community is going to reconsider the current hypothesis that XMRV is a containment is if the WPI can pick out the CFS blood samples in the BWG study; It really all comes down to that.

toddm1960

I agree, they desperately need to get this data out there in a peer reviewed publication. The only way I see the science community is going to reconsider the current hypothesis that XMRV is a containment is if the WPI can pick out the CFS blood samples in the BWG study; It really all comes down to that.

This information from Judy only highlights the cover up, why else would confirming studies go unpublished while bad science negative studies get fast tracted? This should prove we need to be more vocal, more active in calling for true science and research. Staying quiet will only get us 30 more years of CBT and GET. The government is far from giving up, my guess is we'll see a bunch more of zero/zero and negative studies flood publications in the next few weeks........funny how that happens everytime news of confirming data shows up in the media. I'll throw this out there again, does anyone think we'll see any of Judy's work published in 2011?

currer

I agree the politics are ominous.
But didn't we hear that there was going to be a major publication of new research in April? And that they had all signed non-disclosure agreements until then?