1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
First Direct Evidence of Neuroinflammation - 'Encephalitis' - in ME/CFS
A small study with just nine patients has captured the attention of patients and researchers alike after reporting direct evidence of inflammation in the brain of ME/CFS patients. The finding was one of the highlights picked out by Professor Anthony Komaroff in his IACFS/ME...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

XMRV Article in Chicago Tribune and other papers

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by kurt, Jun 8, 2010.

1. V99

V99 *****

UK
    redo, I'm having a look at the two articles, could you point out the differences? Alright found it.
  2. V99

V99 *****

UK
    This is the Chicago Tribune bit.
    LA Times
  3. V99

V99 *****

UK
    This is also missing

Chicago Tribune
    LA Times
  4. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
    And the Band Played On: Politics, People, and the AIDS Epidemic

"By the time Rock Hudson's death in 1985 alerted all America to the danger of the AIDS epidemic, the disease had spread across the nation, killing thousands of people and emerging as the greatest health crisis of the 20th century. America faced a troubling question: What happened? How was this epidemic allowed to spread so far before it was taken seriously? In answering these questions, Shilts weaves weaves the disparate threads into a coherent story, pinning down every evasion and contradiction at the highest levels of the medical, political, and media establishments. Shilts shows that the epidemic spread wildly because the federal government put budget ahead of the nation's welfare; health authorities placed political expediency before the public health; and scientists were often more concerned with international prestige than saving lives. Against this backdrop, Shilts tells the heroic stories of individuals in science and politics, public health and the gay community, who struggled to alert the nation to the enormity of the danger it faced. "And the Band Played On "is both a tribute to these heroic people and a stinging indictment of the institutions that failed the nation so badly."

".... It is fascinating, frightening, and essential reading."--"San Francisco Sentinel" "A textbook on how institutions work--or fail to work--in the face of such a threat."--"San Francisco Examiner" "A lucid and stunning indictment of public policy toward the vicious disease . . . A valuable work of political history."..."

http://bookshop.blackwell.co.uk/jsp/...41353#synopsis
    http://www.amazon.com/Band-Played-Po.../dp/0312241356
  5. lululowry

lululowry Senior Member

Athens, Georgia
    Martlet, I am sorry for your loss.

Many, if not most of us, have a special stake in this. Some, like myself, have family members and close friends who have died of AIDS; some, like myself, have family members who have died or who are dying of cancer right now; and all of us are dealing with ME/CFS, both in ourselves and, for many of us, like myself in close family members as well.

A long list of people, many of whom died prematurely with ME/CFS may tell you nothing useful, but to me, a layperson, it points to why a scientist who made a major discovery about XMRV may be sounding a major alarm.

And sadly, the story was picked up by the LA Times today. :(
  6. Frickly

Frickly Senior Member

Texas
    Thanks for posting the differences in these articles V99. I feel a little sick. This story is also in the Seattle Times.
  7. Robyn

Robyn *****

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  8. V99

V99 *****

UK
    How does it make you feel sick, sorry to ask, I just want to understand.
  9. Frickly

Frickly Senior Member

Texas
    Sorry, I think, all in all, the origial chicago tribune story was not all bad. I expected worse. However, I am surprised to see this story, with NO NEW NEWS and NO REVELATIONS, immediatly reprinted in two major newspapers and reworded. It just makes me think that people are out to get Mikovits now and hope that she can get her papers published before these people do too much damage. Look at Wakefield, he already had a paper submitted and accepted for publication when they yanked his medical license and then his paper.
  10. akrasia

akrasia Senior Member

We do very much expect to see an association with inflammatory breast cancer as with the inflammatory prostate. Were also looking at lymphoma with several groups of researchers. JM Jan. 22, '10, Q+A ProHealth

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle. " George Orwell
  11. muffin

muffin Senior Member

USA!
    Seattle times running stupid trine tsouderos story from the chicago tribune

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/health/2012093566_chronicfatigue12.html

Hope outrunning science on chronic fatigue syndrome
    The story of XMRV and chronic fatigue syndrome is unfolding in a uniquely modern way highlighting the clash between slow, methodical science and a plugged-in world ready to act upon a single piece of information. It also puts the spotlight on a scientist whose unorthodox statements have raised eyebrows among colleagues while finding a receptive audience among patients desperate for answers.

By Trine Tsouderos - Chicago Tribune

WE NEED TO RESPOND AGAIN TO THIS STUPID ARTICLE IN THE SEATTLE TIMES TO KNOCK OUT THIS STUPID REPORTER'S NASTY, BIASED WRITING ON XMRV/MIKOVITS, ETC.
  12. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    Well...I was going to say no one reads the Seattle Times, (my hometown paper), but if people want to voice their opinion, I suppose it's worth posting them. In fact, now that I think about it, a few of my (ex) friends are blithering idiots (or shall we say, 'grossly uninformed' even though I've tried to inform them, so let's just say 'incredibly ignorant') when it comes to CFS/ME...and in fact one of the most vocal (he literally laughs in my face) does in fact read the Times.

thanks for posting this.
  13. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    I'm just guessing here, but perhaps if some of the quotes weren't used in the LA/Seattle Times reprints because they came from emails between the original other and Dr. Mikovits?

Just guessing.
  14. usedtobeperkytina

usedtobeperkytina Senior Member

Clay, Alabama
    Well, I think that if Mikovits was not well-respected in the first place, this would not be worthy of coverage.

How many times to news media quote from people who say the earth is flat? How many times do they cover the "controversy" over the shape of the earth? Nadda.

Reason, those who claim the earth is flat have no credibility. But, Mikovits does. Has she blown her credibility, yet? No. The virus is there. It is infectious. Her study still stands and has not been disproven.

Now, whether her alarmist comments end up making her the hero or make her lose all credibility will be determined by what happens in the next year in other studies.

Either way, glad she is getting some attention, pointing out unfair disparity and speaking out on what she sees as possible major worldwide health concern. The fact Chicago Tribune is covering the controversy and her unorthodox methods gives her credibility as being no crack pot.

Tina
  15. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    That's an incredibly clear and vivid shot! Wow! Please post some more :)
  16. Martlet

Martlet Senior Member

Near St Louis, MO
    That is an absolutely breathtaking photo. Do you mind if I download it, Free? I'd love to use it as wallpaper.
  17. jewel

jewel Senior Member

Sadly, so is the LA Times... and a few others. Oh, well.
  18. JPV

JPV Senior Member

Personally I didn't find the article that offensive. If you read the whole thing, the author gives both sides a chance to express their opinions.
  19. Megan

Megan Senior Member

Australia
    I share some of the concerns of many on this board. I think many of us, including me, are anxious not to see JM put a foot wrong as this seems such a battle for us and she is our flag bearer for CFS/XMRV. But I too feel that there are some double standards being used against Judy Mikovits and the WPI.

I have seen her criticised for speaking of unpublished data, not just on this forum. I am not from the scientific world but I get the impression that this happens all the time without people copping such criticism. eg. Myra McClure of the Wessley study revealed positive findings of her as yet unpublished XMRV/prostate cancer study on a radio program in Australia. Didn't Dr. Huber reveal her unpublished (unpublishable?) results at a recent conference? Likewise I recall unpublished results of XMRV/prostate cancers at the CROI conference in February. Weren't the Japanese XMRV blood bank test results revealed at a conference without a published paper? I get the impression it is normal to reveal such things at scientific conferences, or in McClure's case in the media. Why outrage directed at JM and not these others?

It was John Coffin who said at the CFSAC conference last year the "pathogenicity of this virus should not be underestimated", based on the action of closely related mouse viruses in other mammals (and other retroviruses in humans). He was clearly indicating that the scientific community should not be treating this virus is benign until proven otherwise. In this context it could be seen as responsible to be alerting people about it. I would think this is a genuine moral conundrum for any scientist when faced with such a situation.

I know Judy talks about disease associations with other illnesses, but speaking of an association is not saying it is a cause. We don't even know what she said at the autism conference. In the case of CFS she has implied it is a cause in public (perhaps with good reason) though not in her papers. And lets not forget the link with prostate cancer was already made before Judy became involved.
  20. free at last

free at last Senior Member

Sorry to break up the important discussion, i wont take up any more time here, But wanted to reply to Cort and Martlet.
    Ok ill post some things on the community section Cort, Thanks for the kind comments.

Its a big passion of mine. Im quite well known in the amature astronomy feild, hence my concerns of identity.Its not that im ashamed to have had a diagnosis of ME, But some of my veiws may be seen as extreme, so dont really want to leave myself open to attack from many different sources.Hope you understand. Martlet of course by all means copy the pic, its free now its on here for anyone. If file size isnt a bad issue. I will upload the full size on the community section. Where quite a bit more detail can be seen. As Cort has asked to see more ill also post that too. though i only specialize in planets and the moon. Never did take any photos of galaxys and the deep sky stuff. Cheers

See more popular forum discussions.