• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

XMRV and MS - articles or research references

Mark

This is a couple of weeks old and not related to XMRV, but it's significant research on MS and would be well worth looking into the details of this genetic link that's been found. I personally think that saying this is 'the explanation' of why women are (nowadays) more likely to suffer MS (they didn't used to be) is a typically overstated headline, but it's a very significant clue...

I kind of like the point made at the end of the Nursing in Practice article:
"scientists played down suggestions that the rise in MS among females was caused by genetic factors alone because the increase had occurred in such a small space of time."

I think the obvious way to think about this is to say that there's some 'new environmental factor' that disproportionately affects women - for the genetic reasons identified in these studies - and that environmental factor has been steadily rising in a short space of time. The "short space of time" we're talking about is the time period when autism, MS, ME, allergies and more have been increasing in prevalence...

The "environmental factor" just might, just conceivably might, be some kind of virus, of course...;)

http://www.nursinginpractice.com/article/23971/Women_%22more_likely_to_have_MS_gene%22

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...-multiple-sclerosis-hits-more-women-1.1078836

http://news.scotsman.com/news/Revealed-why-women-more-likely.6684762.jp

Revealed: why women more likely to suffer MS

Published Date: 10 January 2011
By Lyndsay Moss
RESEARCHERS have discovered why multiple sclerosis is more common in women than men.
They found women with MS are more likely to have a gene associated with the condition than men. Women are also more likely to pass this gene on to their daughters, according to the MS Society-funded study at the University of Oxford.

MS is the most common neurological condition affecting young adults in the UK, causing serious problems with movement and balance. Scotland has one of the highest rates of MS in the world, although the reasons for this remain unclear.

The new research, led by Professor George Ebers and published in the journal Neurology, analysed the genes of more than 7,000 people from some 1,000 families affected by MS to try to establish why some people seem to inherit MS, while others do not. The study found women appeared more likely to inherit genes linked with MS from a female relative.

In the 1950s, the numbers of men and women living with MS in Scotland were roughly equal. But today, the condition may affect as many as three times more women than men.

The research also offers an explanation as to why, in high prevalence areas, some 20 per cent of MS cases have at least one affected relative.

The scientists said the link to genes was only half the story, as these increases had taken place over too short a timescale to be explained as simply genetic.

Instead, the study suggests, the rise of MS in women is triggered by an interaction between genes and environment that specifically affects women.

Dr Jayne Spink, director of policy and research at the MS Society, said: "The exact cause of MS is still unknown, but this study helps solve a vital part of the puzzle."