1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Time Change Equals Jet Lag, ME/CFS Style
Jody Smith marvels at how much difference one hour can make to those with ME/CFS, as much of the world has endured The Time Change in recent weeks ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

XMRV and HIV - why now ?

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by Quilp, Dec 19, 2009.

1. bullybeef

bullybeef Senior Member

North West, England, UK
    To not be able to donate blood, is incredibly contradictory for such a underestimated disease. I find it laughable how they only tell us via word of mouth or whomever asked directly.

Why don't they release this important info through the news and media?
  2. iofiel

iofiel Guest

I had two bouts of respiratory infections and shortly after I noticed my energy level was nowhere near where it came from... I always wondered if that is where it all started.
  3. iofiel

iofiel Guest

I still donate blood. Is this bad of me? Should I stop?
  4. acer2000

acer2000 Senior Member

Anyone with an illness of unknown etiology (and I would argue autoimmune illness as well) should not donate blood. CFS is currently an illness of unknown, but potentially infectious, etiology. So yes, if you are giving blood, you should stop.
  5. Katie

Katie Guest

Yes, I agree with the above post, you should refrain from donating. It's a wonderful thing to do, you most certainly have saved lives and you should be proud of yourself, but for now, at least until this XMRV thing unravels, you should stop. It sucks, but it's the right thing at this point in time. Welcome to the board btw! I'm Katie, 24 from the UK. :)
  6. _Kim_

_Kim_ Guest

Hope for Chronic Fatigue sufferers; concern about the blood supply by Jack Johnson at Las Vegas City Life Blogs

7. _Kim_

_Kim_ Guest

Guidance for Persons with ME/CFS for Safe Blood Donation

8. glenp

glenp "and this too shall pass"

Vancouver Canada suburbs
  9. acer2000

acer2000 Senior Member

I wonder why:

They don't test for Lyme disease, babesia, and bartonella - all very common infections - in the blood supply.

Wouldn't it be good if they tested for reverse transcriptase activity such that they could head off a new retrovirus before they have identified it?
  10. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
    Many of pathological findings in HIV positive children exactly mirror pathological findings in (idiopathic) autism. HIV causes autistic symptoms in 1/3 to half of positive children. http://autismcalciumchannelopathy.com/HIV_and_Autism.html

Preliminary findings are showing XMRV present in significant numbers in autism. The plot tickens...

See more popular forum discussions.