1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Part 2: Brain Cells Making us Sick? Messed up microglia could be driving symptoms
Simon McGrath looks at theories that microglia, the brain's immune cells, might be overactive and driving the symptoms of ME/CFS and fibromyalgia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

XMRV accelerates cellular proliferation and invasiveness of prostate cancer cells

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by Jemal, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

This seems to be an important part of the puzzle.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/pros.21491/abstract
    Enid, SOC and eric_s like this.
  2. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

Switzerland/Spain (Valencia)
    That's very interesting, thanks. It makes the contaminant theory less likely, at least in prostate cancer. And if in prostate cancer it's not a contaminant, then why should it be in ME/CFS. But of course we need to wait for further results.

My feeling is that this is a very nasty virus, because it's hard to detect, doesn't have any spectacular, quick effects that make you realize it's there immediately and over time it might have different sorts of "small" effects that lead to different dieases, depending on where it is and maybe also depending on the host. This is really just my gut feeling, nothing more, now it's up to science to find out what it really does.
  3. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

I agree with you Eric. Especially the slow onset of symptoms is very dangerous. It could take years or even decades, before someone falls ill. This means the virus could have gone unnoticed for many years and even if discovered it would be very hard to link it to certain diseases. Which could be what is happening now...
  4. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    I've only just spotted this paper... Interesting... I suppose it could potentially be relevant to lymphomas as well as prostate cancer.
  5. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Very interesting - thanks Jemal - another bit of the puzzle. Nothing over with XMRV it seems.
  6. RustyJ

RustyJ Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'

Brisbane, Aust
    A recent HIV study picked up variants of HIV with different pathologies, and MLV studies in mice show the same. I think it is likely that the prostate HGRV might prove to be different from the strain (strains) causing problems in ME/CFS patients. Eg, I can't recall any record of neurological symptoms in prostate cancer patients. This of course will add another layer of complexity to the problems besetting the field.

See more popular forum discussions.