1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Pathway to Prevention (P2P) for ME/CFS: A Dangerous Process
Gabby Klein gives an overview of the P2P process, shedding light on the pitfalls with advice as to what we can do in protest ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

XMRV: a new virus in prostate cancer ? Aloia et al

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by fred, Oct 23, 2010.

1. fred

fred The game is afoot

Not sure if this has been posted already. I can't find it in a search. Let me know if it already has a thread and I'll get this one deleted. Thanks.

http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/early/2010/10/20/0008-5472.CAN-10-2837.abstract

2. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    It doesn't appear to state what the primary XMRV probe targets were (at least I didn't see it on a quick read - the article could have been written better..)
    Additonal testing:
    54 samples tested with additional probe targeted towards conserved gag sequence
    41 cases, using primer from Urisman et al.
    24 cases using primer from Hohn et al.
    Serology: MLV30 (targets cleavage products of env) and MLV70 (targets cleavage products of gag) antisera.

Some of the discussion below:

3. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member

We're back to questions about positive controls. We also have the usual confusion of XMRV with MLV itself.

The whole field has problems with endogenous sequences, and I would like to know more about how these were resolved. Choosing highly-conserved sequences is likely to put you close to matching endogenous sequences. Avoiding these pushes you toward more variable sequences. which the PCR assay's exquisite selectivity then rejects.

This is one area where long experience with a specific virus plays a major role. Weighed in the balance, Silverman and Singh have more relevant experience. And, neither Lo nor Alter is exactly naive.

The hypothesis that insertional mutagenesis by known XMRV sequences must be the cause of PCa seems to be telling the virus how it must behave, not learning from nature. The low rate of PCa appearance in infected prostates suggests it is the result of very rare events. These could be due to rare variants, not the most common virus. In that case, clones of that cell would carry the variant, not standard XMRV.

I am disappointed, not simply that this failed to confirm other reports, but by the small amount of useful data extracted. This is basically a single bit. Silverman and Singh both seem to be generating considerably more data, and data which correlates with something other than a particular laboratory or experiment.

If Alter and Lo have gone on to detect XMRV and isolate infective virus, as reported, some objections voiced here will already be void.

4. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    It's in the LA Times today, along with a mention of the planned UK XMRV demonstration at the Department of Health.

See more popular forum discussions.