1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 2: Pathogens and the Gut
Mark Berry continues his series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with the emphasis shifting from autoimmunity to pathogens and the gut ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

XMRV: A "Natural Human Retrovirus"...???

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by dannybex, Oct 12, 2009.

1. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    I know I said I'd stay away from the boards and get some rest, but I stumbled across this study, which seems to suggest that XMRV helps spread other infections...

...but I don't really have the marbles to figure it out. Perhaps others can summarize it in layman's terms?

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0003144
  2. jenbooks

jenbooks Guest

Danny

Hi. I think I know what this means but not sure.

As I mentioned--and is mentioned here--MLV has been used in gene therapy. Viruses are used as vectors--fedex trucks so to speak--to deliver their payload of a correct gene into the genome. You need that good gene to integrate into the genome so when the cell divides you keep getting that good gene.

Anyway, they modified the virus so that (they believed) it would not be harmful and replicate endlessly. They used it because supposedly it doesn't cause infection in humans. HOWEVER, it did have promoter sequences intact that, when the virus integrated into the genome of the bubble babies given MLV/good gene, promoted cancer by switching on human genes for cancer. The bubble babies got cured only to get cancer, which then had to be treated with chemo.

What they're saying here is that if you have XMRV already--and then you get MLV in gene therapy-- (at least I THINK this is what they're saying)--you could get in serious trouble as the XMRV will help the MLV and allow it to replicate. They will work together. In addition they're saying if you're experimenting with or tweaking human cell lines in the lab, and those human cells happen to have XMRV, and you're using MLV to ferry your "cargo" (good gene or whatever else) into those cells you might create a monster...

I'd like to know if they've used MLV in anything else but gene therapy. You have to wonder about it jumping species when they were already conducting experiments in which they inserted MLV into humans.
  3. jenbooks

jenbooks Guest

By the way...helper viruses

These are really common, I believe.

There is a virus called adenovirus, mostly responsible for bad colds etc. It's pretty immunogenic and inflammatory. They tried to use that in gene therapy but it just is too immunogenic--dangerous. They thought they saw contaminants but it turns out it's something called Adeno associated virus.

They call it the wimpy virus. It doesn't really replicate on its own--unless it has help from Adenovirus.

I suspect this is commonplace--that viruses that either don't replicate on their own (or modified MLV as in the above article), or else aren't that BAD on their own and maybe a little indolent, get switched on by "helpers" and go awol.
  4. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    Thanks Jill...

Thanks so much for deciphering the study...my brain only stretches so far, especially in the mornings...

I'm curious about the earlier epidemics. I wonder if they even have tissue samples available from them, and if XMRV will show up way back in the 1930's or the 1950's outbreaks?
  5. jenbooks

jenbooks Guest

Danny I Somehow Doubt It...

Maybe I'm wrong, and it makes me sick to think of the possibility, but they have been manipulating MLV for several decades. I hate to conceive of lab/human error but think about it. We've actually been using it in cultures of all kinds probably, testing it, manipulating it, and even use it in gene therapy experiments. And it jumps species...
  6. hvs

hvs Senior Member

Here's that list of outbreaks, again; they go back to the 1930s. Presumably they go back 15,000 years to the time when a lot of viruses crossed from animals to increasing human crowds.

http://www.fm-cfs.ca/ME_epidemic.html

See more popular forum discussions.