• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

XMAS made easier

taniaaust1

I thought it would be good to start a thread on this for ideas on what people do to make xmas more managable and offer their tips.

Here's some of my tips

Cards
- Cards, think about starting doing them right now.. dont wait till it gets closer to xmas when the rush season truely starts.

- Consider if sending ecards by email is easier then handwriting and posting them
(hopefully someone can put on this thread some free ecard sites for cards. I used to know some good oens but lost the links).

- If you dont get them done, it isnt the end of the world (First few times I didnt get my cards out to anyone, I was quite upset about it and felt so embarrassed. Now I just accept it if that happens)

Presents
- Dont try to be getting these all at once. Maybe get one a week or fortnight when you are out doing your normal shopping or order online.

- I keep a present chest and collect presents all year (whenever I see something which I think someone would like on special..so this also works by saving me money too).
Ive put more energy into this since about Oct and already have all the presents for all my nieces (which there is a ton of) and nephews. Ive already also got the gifts for 3 out of my 4 grandchildren by doing this.

- If it gets to xmas week and I dont have a present for someone.. I just then buy some chocolate for that person when Im shopping. Do not spend too much energy in the few days leading up to xmas.. preemptive rest if possible.

Its going to be amazing this year if I can get both presents and cards done for everyone.

Christmas Day

- One xmas we set the xmas table up in line with bedroom door and bed, so I could see everything what was going on throu a bedroom doorway.. so I could lay in bed and watch and listen to the family.

- If you arent going to last out well at the xmas do.. think about just going for the most important part/s of it. When I could still drive.. instead of getting there when it first started, I went there only just before the familly started to eat.. (so I was feeling refreshed at the dinner table). As my family opens the presents after lunch.. this was far better then arriving a couple of hours earlier when everyone else did.. to me a nice xmas lunch with family and the present time was more important for me to feel a bit better at then an extended time being with them where i just was going to be very sick. Do you want quantity time or quality time?

- Stick up for your needs.. dont play things down.. if you need to lay down.. do so.. dont be embarrassed about borrowing a family members bed in the back bedroom for a couple of hours right in the middle of the xmas party. If you usually have to pace.. dont change your pacing much.. just do whatever you can do. I literally lay down anywhere if I need to (often at that point, people will offer a bed)

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Tania think I've got it sorted this year - I'm going away:D - so if I survive the flight okay (first one in 6yrs) then things should be so easy, no cooking, oh I'm looking forward to that so much, taking presents which have to be small, preferably jokey ones - and thats it - hurrah.

AFCFS

For me Christmas does not need to be the overly commercialized juggernaut that it has become. I think the Founder would agree. I think will work it this way:

Cards - Don't get them; overly priced paper products that will likely be read briefly, if at all, and then get tossed; or emails/web links that will get deleted.

Presents - Online, sent gift wrapped, one per person. Even better, the gift card - no need for returns, let them pick what they want. Amazon comes to mind as one-stop shopping location.

Though not fashionable today, my grandfather told me the story of a poor family he knew (circa depression). The father had gotten his daughter a calendar as her only gift, something she could use all year and in using it each time remember that special day. She was so happy and thankful for it. Seems like that sentiment has greatly been lost.

Christmas Day - A time to relax, enjoy the peace, hopefully with some loved ones around. Maybe watch the original versions of "How the Grinch stole Christmas," "Frosty the Snowman," "A Christmas Carol," and "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation," or the like.

- its not a "Bah! Humbug!" approach, I just don't feel that XMAS should be "hard" in the first place.

taniaaust1

AFCFS .. Your post reminded me of what I did last year for my parents, grandparents and sisters. :)

I got everyone to email me files with photos of their children (all my neices and nephews) and using that and a program I had to make a calender.. over a 8mth period till xmas.. I made a family calender which I printed out for each family unit.

It was a lot of fun to do (stopped boredom at times), getting borders from sites online for the photos, finding backgrounds to go behind the photos and putting them onto the monthly calender which I made it a themed one also for certain times of the year eg Summer had a family beach photo with a background added in of waves and fish. I also included all the birthdays into it too..