1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hunting down the cause of ME/CFS & other challenging disorders - Lipkin in London
In a talk to patients in London on 3rd September, Dr. W. Ian Lipkin described the extraordinary lengths he and his team are prepared to go to in order to track down the source of an illness, with examples ranging from autism to the strange case of Kawasaki disease.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Xifaxan/Rifaximim

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by shannah, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Waverunner

Waverunner Senior Member

Is Rifaximin prescription free?

http://www.alldaychemist.com/content/9-faq

Q.4 Do I require a prescription to order from your company?
    A prescription is needed for prescription medicines. The same may be sent by e-mail (as a scan) or by fax to our number +1-760-2845903.

2. orion

orion Senior Member

UK
    They just put that stuff on their website to cover themselves. In reality, you can just leave the prescription details blank when you order, and they'll still send you the medicine. In fact, in my experience, none of the pharmacies based in India really seem to care about prescriptions (thank god) unlike the control freakery you get in supposedly "free" western countries.

3. SaraM

SaraM Senior Member

I have been thinking about ordering some from them . Please let us know if it works.

4. Waverunner

Waverunner Senior Member

Yes, I agree. It's funny that this is called "freedom" at all. Patients are forced to spend money, just to talk to someone who then decides what is best while at the same time he may have gotten his knowledge 30 years ago at university. There are only little incentives for the patient to interfere with personal healthcare because there is no chance to take responsibility. The lack of freedom to buy what the patient thinks is right for him drives up healthcare cost and this is what we see today.

5. daniariete2000

daniariete2000

Rifaximin can't work against prevotella since it is an anaerobic one.

What about antibiotic resistance of rifaximin ?

Thanks

Daniele

6. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Yes, prevotella is anaerobic but rifaximin is often prescribed for it. It was for me and I had very good results.

http://www.drugs.com/monograph/rifaximin.html

Other bacteria: Has in vitro activity against Acinetobacter, Aeromonas, Bacillus, Bacteroides, Bifidobacterium, Campylobacter jejuni, Clostridium difficile, Enterobacter cloacae, Fusobacterium, Helicobacter, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Plesiomonas shigelloides, Peptostreptococcus, Prevotella, Proteus, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Salmonella (groups C1 and C2), Shigella (including S. dysenteriae, S. flexneri, S. sonnei), Serratia, Staphylococcus, Streptococcus, Vibrio, and Yersinia enterocolitica.2 11 Also active in vitro against Cryptosporidium and Giardia.2

7. CBS

CBS Senior Member

Western US
    Several recent studies have shown that the risk of developing antibiotic resistance is low in Rifaxamin. This recent study published in the New England Journal of Medicine found few adverse reactions. NEJM 2011

There are a number of other studies that have looked at repeated use and found that the risk is low when Rifaxamin used for 10-14 days periods 3-4 times per year.

8. Dufresne

Dufresne almost there...

Hi Sushi,

I'm trying to find a cheap supplier of generic Rifaximin. I called the "Canadian" Pharmacy you mentioned and was surprised to learn they don't deliver to Canada. Isn't this drug still under patent protection in the states? Yet only an American can order a generic form of it from a pharmacy with headquarters in Washington that claims to be Canadian. If my brain fog wasn't that bad when I got up, it is now.

Can I ask what price you paid?

Does anybody else know of a reliable, cheap source? I have a prescription.

9. Sushi

Albuquerque
    Yes, pretty weird! As I remember it was about $37 per hundred plus shipping, but my memory could be wrong. Someone else said they got it from:

And someone in Australia mentioned getting the generic at a very good price---Heaps? Can't remember.

Best,
    Sushi

10. beaverfury

beaverfury beaverfury

West Australia
    After taking the Rifaximin what do you do to replace gut flora? Wish they would hurry up with their fecal transplant
    technology. Preferably in an enteric coated pill.

Im keen to try Rifaximin so i guess i will drink as much kefir, eat as much sauerkraut, and take many probiotic pills afterwards. Wiping out my hard earned gut flora is not something i take lightly, especially in view of some of the research coming out lately.

11. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
  12. Sushi

Albuquerque
  13. Rockt

Rockt Senior Member

Does anyone know how things are going for people who've tried this drug. Are people (presumably on a maintenance dose) who've improved dramatically staying well or relapsing. Does anyone know if "Esther" has reamined well?

14. Sushi

Albuquerque
    Hi Rockt,

I am experimenting with an 8 day course (550 mg per day) every other month. Too soon to tell how this will work out as I've just completed the first course (it helped a lot).

Sushi

See more popular forum discussions.