1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Xifaxan - big problems

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by Daffodil, May 5, 2013.

1. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

Hi all. I once felt better for a week after taking Xifaxan, so my doc wanted me to try a higher dose for a longer period of time (2 weeks).

This time, I just got worse and worse, and stayed that way. I am currently going through hell with INTENSE inflammation, chest pain, etc. It has been about 2 weeks since I stopped the drug.

Did anyone get worse with Xifaxan and if so, how long did it last before you were back to prior levels of functioning?

Thanks a lot
    Sue

2. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    I didn't get worse daff - but I didn't feel well whilst I was on it and was glad to finish the week's course.
    I don't think sometimes more is better - the week you were on it probably did what was needed?
    Have you started probiotics - I used VSL#3
    Its a pretty powerful a/biotic in the gut kills everything.

3. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    I agree about the dose, that could have been the problem...and also about the probiotic--you would need a very powerful one now daily. VSL#3 has 450 billion micro-organisms per packet. But that might not be the particular formula you need.

Sushi

4. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    I know Sushi thats the problem, if you don't have the stool test before the xifaxan to identify which good bacteria you need then its trial and error to find one that suits. Some people are made worse, as I have been when using them.

See more popular forum discussions.