• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Xanax Improves Energy?

Hi guys,

First time posting here. I've had CFS for 3 years with occasional anxiety attacks. When I began taking Xanax (just for severe anxiety episodes, every two weeks or so) about 6 months ago, I noticed that while I would have a harder time sleeping than usual for about three nights after taking it (though not immediately after I took the Xanax, when I would usually want to/be able to sleep), my energy during these few days would actually be higher than normal.

Only now is it occurring to me that daily or semi-daily doses of Xanax might be a useful treatment option, but I'd love your input. Have you experienced improved energy after taking Xanax? Do you think daily or semi-daily use of Xanax for energy would be a good idea?

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Several years ago a Dr. Forrester(sp?) who was then treating CFS patients noticed that his patients had a 'paradoxical' reaction to Xanax. Since then Dr. Cheney has theorized that CFS patients have an upregulated autonomic nervous system, which sort of wears us out 'spinning its wheels'.

When I began taking it, I found that I wore out less quickly. I personally find it better to take the Xanax (generic) on a regular basis and keep my ANS stabilized rather than wait until I feel exhausted and 'edgy' to take it. I, obviously, get along quit well with Xanax. Not everyone does.

Several years ago a Dr. Forrester(sp?) who was then treating CFS patients noticed that his patients had a 'paradoxical' reaction to Xanax. Since then Dr. Cheney has theorized that CFS patients have an upregulated autonomic nervous system, which sort of wears us out 'spinning its wheels'.

When I began taking it, I found that I wore out less quickly. I personally find it better to take the Xanax (generic) on a regular basis and keep my ANS stabilized rather than wait until I feel exhausted and 'edgy' to take it. I, obviously, get along quit well with Xanax. Not everyone does.

Hello Bluestem,

I just saw your post! Thanks for replying. May I ask how much Xanax you take, and how frequently? At the moment I just take .5 mg every 10 days or so (when I really freak out).

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I take .25 mg five times/day. I take three doses spaced through the day, one about an hour before bedtime, and one at bedtime.

camas

I noticed this paradoxical response to temazepam years ago. I also had the same reaction on low doses of klonopin. Turns out that I have a mast cell disorder and benzodiazepines like xanax, temazepam, and klonopin are mast cell stabilizers. Just another angle to consider. :)

barbc56

Same here but with clonazepam during the day. I started taking it before I got sick for RLS. Supposedly, it is the best for this class of medications, as it calms the nervous system more efficiently. I also take it at night but it helps me get to sleep quicker as I have delayed sleep onset. We are all different how we react to meds but this has been my experience.

Good luck.