1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Dr. Kerr, I presume?
Clark Ellis brings us a rare interview with British researcher Dr. Jonathan Kerr who is now living in Colombia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

"Writing With Soul" - on academic writing

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Dolphin, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I came across this on Twitter a while back (possibly via this Tweet from a doctor: https://twitter.com/trishgreenhalgh/status/337861043793563648 ).

Anyway, people who write may find it of interest.

I think the comments are well-worth reading if one reads the piece as they trash out the issues a bit more: I'm inclined to agree with those who say it's easier said than done to write with soul in technical situations. Also, one is dealing with lots of other issues with writing in peer-reviewed publications e.g. peer reviewers have to be happy, word counts, etc.

She concludes:

This chimes with what an English teacher told us: he encouraged us to show vulnerabilities when writing compositions.
    Simon likes this.
  2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Try to be as honest as possible. Always worth remembering.

It is odd that what has become seen as the style of academia seems to make real honesty so difficult.
    Valentijn likes this.
  3. Purple

Purple Bundle of purpliness

Writing semi-popular articles/books (not sure what the correct term would be here) about e.g. science or other academic pursuits - aimed at interested lay public - would be a good target group for writing with soul.
    Dolphin likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.