• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

wrist problems

uni

Anyone experiencing wrist discomfort/pain? I noticed that my wrists are much more prone to discomfort in the past couple of years or so. I do use my wrists in repetitive positions, but not nearly as much as when I was healthy (and my wrists didn't feel uncomfortable then).

alex3619

Hi uni, this was a huge problem for me for nearly twenty years. I used to do computerized bookkeeping. I developed severe wrist pain, then arm and hand pain, and finally finger pain - which then spread to other points over my body, anywhere that had static muscle load. Repetitive action, as well as static muscle load, seem to be able to trigger what I think of as local PEM - its not the whole body, just the muscles involved in the activity. If the aggravating action is continued long enough it can cause damage. In my case I tried physiotherapy to correct it (in the 80s) - big mistake. I think that locked it in as semi-permanent damage.

I do not regard your symptoms as unusual except in once sense - I would have expected it to be more common, and it doesnt appear to be.

Bye, Alex

Calathea

Yes, I've been diagnosed with RSI as a result. Treatments available include lots of rest, stopping using a mouse, heat and/or cold therapy, wearing a wrist splint at night, and in my case, anti-inflammatory patches (I'm using Voltarol, also known as diclofenac). Nobble it before it gets any worse. You really don't want to be stuck at the level where you can't hold cutlery.

alex3619

Hi adreno, massage I agree with, strength exercises were what I did regularly using an antiinflammatory protocol with icing before and after exercise. I got worse from the exercise. Bye, Alex

Rand56

hi uni

I don't know if your wrist pain has anything to do with connective tissue..ie..ligaments/tendons..but if so, I've found silica to be a huge benefit to me. I've only been taking DE now for about 2.5 weeks and I have gotten significant relief from a nagging hamstring that has been bothering me for quite some time. I've also had tendon issues in my wrists which were aggravated from lifting weights and hoping the silica can help me from that being a continual problem, because those wrist issues have kept me from lifting for quite some time now.

caledonia

It sounds like carpal tunnel. I am much more prone to this since getting ME/CFS. The ergonomics of your workstation/computer are very important. Keeping your activity below a certain level, and stretching are also helpful.

I use a one button mouse (I have a Mac, so this is possible). That way all my fingers are pressing to click at the same time, instead of one or two fingers. A two button mouse is pretty much instant carpal tunnel for me.

In general, you want to keep your arms and legs at 90 degree angles. The most common mistake I see is people using a regular (pre-computer) desk or table for their computer. It's way too high for the mouse, and will cause you to reach. If this is your situation, you need to install a keyboard/mouse drawer below the desk to get it to the proper height.

taniaaust1

Due to the ME, I get issues with ANY part of my body I try to repetitively use.. that includes my wrist eg holding a pencil and writing is too constant and repetivitive on my wrist... trying to hand scub something.. I can only last about 50 seconds before pain hits. (This is like a PEM response for me.. but without tiredness thou it can get hard to move.. its the pain instead which becames the issue). It can feel a bit like RSI when it happens in my wrists with the pain not just in the wrist but radiating up arm from the wrist, but it isnt RSI.

If I ignore the pain and discomfort and keep going.. I think I start to do some damage as neurological issues then start occuring eg hand then starts spasming. Once my hand is to that point, this can take time to settle down completely and go back to its preuse state (eg it may have then issues till the next day with the hand being unable to work well (eg dropping things).. if Im regularly pushing a body part in this way.. I then can be getting spasms for months in that body part.

In my case I dont think anything like physio would help as Im fairly sure my issues are being caused by mitochondrial issues due to the ME. (so physio would probably make the issue worst).

alex3619

I had my so-called RSI thoroughly investigated, even signed up for a research study where they turned my arm into a hedgehog - big needles sticking out of my muscles. In my case it was not RSI, but they did find non-specific markers of muscle damage. This same problem can occur not just in my wrists but also arms, shoulders etc.

Shell

I have found wrist splints and those fingerless gloves for arthritis have helped this. I can't write much any more, but if I support my wrist (right one is crook, left one usually ok) I can type.
It's chopping veg that finishes me. For that I advise baby veg or have teenage child on hand with a big knife.
Those microwave lavender bags are helpful too.
Good luck

Went through a period where I had bad symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome - my job at the time was about 60% computer work. Began taking more Vitamin B6 and within a week didn't have any more symptoms. Taking Vitamin C without augmenting Vitamin B6 can actually contribute to carpal tunnel symptoms.

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/carpaltunnelsyndrome/a/carpal_tunnel.htm

In several research studies, vitamin B6 deficiency has been associated with carpal tunnel syndrome. A study by the Portland Hand Surgery and Rehabilitation Center in Oregon examined 441 people and found that higher levels of vitamin B6 were associated with fewer carpal tunnel syndrome symptoms. Researchers also found that higher levels of vitamin C relative to lower vitamin B6 levels were associated with a higher prevalence and greater frequency of carpal tunnel symptoms

perchance dreamer

I don't have carpal tunnel, but I do have wrist problems. I have hypermobile joints, which is causing wrist pain. I'll soon have prolotherapy to tighten and strengthen my wrist.

I also have hand arthritis, but that is greatly helped my Jarrow's Cox2 Tame. You can read reviews at Amazon and iHerb.