1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

WPI Vice Pres Interview on Radio KUNR

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by creekfeet, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    My report on the Interview on the XMRV Buzz page

2. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    Unless I missed a thread I think we're all merged up.

3. John Leslie

John Leslie

A friend in Washington has advised me that Senator Reid will be the keynote speaker during the dedication ceremony on August 16. Wow!!! In addition, Senator John Ensign, Congresswoman Shelly Berkely, and Congressman Dean Heller will be there as well. My friend has also advised me that there will be a very very private and high level symposium with people like Ruscetti, Mikovits, Bagni presenting to other scientists, government types, physicians, and blood and lab companies (I would guess everybody but Abbott) the following day. That must be what Hillerby was referencing.

4. SOC

SOC Senior Member

USA
    :Retro smile:
    I must be nearly brain-dead today. I missed Parvo's summary from two days ago. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the great transcription/summary Parvo! There's no way I could have listened and got all that out of it, so I appreciate your effort much more than you can probably imagine.

5. RustyJ

RustyJ Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'

Noosaville, Aust
    My bolding. Very intriguing! Thanks for the info.

6. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

Switzerland/Spain (Valencia)
    That's very good news. I think if the WPI has good connections to politicians we don't have to worry. Now, PNAS, please print that d... paper...

7. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    So there will be a dedication ceremony on Wednesday followed by the Symposium from 2-4 pm and then the opening walkthrough for the public on the 21st.

8. urbantravels

urbantravels disjecta membra

Los Angeles, CA
    ??? The 16th is Monday. Is it happening Monday/16th or Wednesday/18th?

9. Eric Johnson from I&I

Eric Johnson from I&I Senior Member

I don't read psych stuff on CFS often. But I think a very large amount of the psych people consider CFS to equal depression or anxiety or "stress," with "somatization." Therefore they, and those whom they convince, may not consider CFS to be in need of significant research per se - but instead, worthy of a small amount of specialized research as a special form of "somatized depression"... while most of the light to be shed on CFS will come from the general study of depression and somatization. Maybe Simon can let us know how well my notion corresponds with the general consensus in his profession.

NIH already drops $400 million per annum under the category they call depression. A glance at <a href="http://report.nih.gov/rcdc/categories/">this budget</a href> will show that this probably includes almost all other "mental" illnesses, because they aren't listed in their own right.

So part of that $400 million - a very ample portion I would hope - goes to fund brilliant work on conversion disorders, somatization, and what have you. So, viola!, got it all covered there when it comes to chronic whatever-they-call-it.

A def or two for the noobs:

Alors!

10. Eric Johnson from I&I

Eric Johnson from I&I Senior Member

Sorry I am not going to fix those HTML tags. That's how they are supposed to be written!!!!!!

11. RustyJ

RustyJ Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'

Noosaville, Aust
    Try

this budget

<a href="http://report.nih.gov/rcdc/categories/">this budget</a href>

Take out bolded href

<a href="http://report.nih.gov/rcdc/categories/">this budget</a>

See more popular forum discussions.