1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

WPI Respond to Nature article

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by LaurieM, Mar 28, 2011.

1. LaurieM

LaurieM

UK
    The WPI have responded to the nature article:

http://www.wpinstitute.org/news/docs/NatureResponse.pdf

2. JPV

JPV Senior Member

3. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Please can everyone let it be now and allow them to return to the vital work they are doing for us.

4. LaurieM

LaurieM

UK
    So you are telling us not to discuss on a discussion forum things that you do not wish to hear - interesting to say the least.

If the WPI didn't want this to be brought into the spotlight again then surely they should not have put out a response.

JPV:
    Some interesting quotes from the initial article than seem to be in direct opposition to the WPI's response.

It looks like some internal politics at work here, and who knows the exact truth?

BTW I am not anti WPI - in fact I donate money every month from the UK, but that doesn't mean I have to believe everything I read from either the WPI or their detractors.

5. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    No not at all LaurieM - just that I know from my own family (all Spec Medics) the difficulties/politics/whatever. Time to move forward - agree/disagree - they themselves are continually "discovering" and no doubt will adapt/change as their research progresses in the search for the answer to ME. There's politics in just about everything if allowed.

6. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    I totally agree.

7. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    Hi Enid,

With all due respect, even after reading your followup, I still don't understand your statement.

I don't think they're spending any time reading this message board, so discussing this isn't taking them away from their work.

Also, I personally don't believe there is "one" cause of ME/CFS, whether XMRV is involved or not. Each of us has different, multiple causes, or reasons why we're sick, in my humble opinion. That's why it's so difficult to treat.

8. FunkOdyssey

FunkOdyssey Senior Member

Whether Peterson was deliberately kept out of the loop, or whether he refused to sign a confidentiality agreement... I fail to see how this impacts anything meaningfully.

In fact, I would argue this is one of the least important and least relevant things we could possibly spend time discussing.

9. acer2000

acer2000 Senior Member

I'd like to point out that, regardless of what happened in this situation, its pretty much standard operating procedure for study participants and investigators to be kept in the dark about results of an ongoing study until the paper is published and the code is cracked. Its part of the blinding process and helps maintains objectivity.

Many times when you participate in research, you never know the results of your sample, regardless of the study outcome. It appears that wasn't the case here, but they waited until the study was published for the sake of the scientific process.

This is just my opinion, but its not going to benefit any CFS patients for the WPI and Peterson to argue publicly about what caused their rift a couple years ago. It would be much better if they settled their differences and moved on. (or better yet began collaborating again) The last thing we need is more fragmentation in the CFS research community. I think that while the conflicts written about in that nature article may have made for entertaining fodder for journalists, most of the content was in poor form and did nothing positive for ME/CFS research or the patents.

10. Ernie

Ernie *****

This was exactly what was said in the article: When asked whether that episode contributed to his departure, he says, "I was surprised at the secrecy and lack of collaboration." http://www.nature.com/news/2011/110314/full/471282a.html

What's laughable is the fact that Judy doesn't have patients. This was also talking about prior to the publication of the Science paper when it looks like a confidentiality agreement had not been signed.

11. justinreilly

justinreilly Stop the IoM & P2P! Adopt CCC!

NYC (& RI)
    She's a research scientist with a PhD; she doesn't have patients.

I don't think they were disparaging Peterson at all. If what they say is true and there's nothing else we don't know, they are in the right. Who knows if we'll ever know the full story, so i'm not going to judge either of them.

See more popular forum discussions.