1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Brain Cells Making us Sick? The microglia connection in ME/CFS & Fibromyalgia
Simon McGrath looks at theories that microglia, the brain's immune cells, could trigger and perpetuate the symptoms of ME/CFS and fibromyalgia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

WPI Letter to Dr McClure ****

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by VillageLife, Apr 12, 2010.

1. VillageLife

VillageLife Senior Member

United Kingdom
  2. shrewsbury

shrewsbury member

WOWZA

here's even a bit more:

3. VillageLife

United Kingdom
    I was treated so badly by doctors in The uk, in hospital, they made me go for runs - being pulled along, held my hand tight and made me go for long, long walks - Up hills, through the countryside and sometimes with no shoes..... wouldnt let me lay down and made me go to school, (result I nearly died) then in the end they said, oh well...you do actually have CFS.
  4. Kati

Kati Patient in training

Take that Dr McClure! Looking forward to your response.
    :victory::victory::victory::victory::victory:
  5. shrewsbury

shrewsbury member

and here's more:

6. VillageLife

United Kingdom
    Dr Kerr, is a good guy, I dont think he would be silent about this, unless he was told to be!
  7. Dr. Yes

Dr. Yes Shame on You

Curiouser and curiouser.

The failure by Kerr and Kuppeveld to in SOME way report the WPI's (positive) findings on some of their patients is very odd indeed. Especially given the sweeping conclusions (especially in press statements) by Kuppeveld's team. Kuppeveld HAD the materials from WPI and didn't use them??? That would seem to expose the Dutch study and conclusions as purely politically motivated.

And Kerr pulling out of XMRV research is even weirder in light of this disclosure.

On the other hand, it is also really odd that the WPI did not go public with these facts much earlier! They could have avoided so much of the negative press, and defused the criticism from Dr. Vernon (and by others.. the common frustration expressed by others like Goff that "no one is sharing samples", for instance).

So I am confused by many things now. :confused:

But glad to see a concrete effort to collaborate by someone, anyway. I assume they have not reached out to Kerr because he is "out" of XMRV research, but is the rest of that study's team out as well?
  8. alphahusky

alphahusky

Wow. This is either a huge April Fool's joke on all of us, or the WPI really, really is completely and utterly sure of themselves, and sure of us.

Has anyone ever heard from Elaine DeFrietas again? I was wondering what she thinks of this.

This is where the source of my doubt about Dr. Kerr came from; just not really understanding how the group was perhaps the "wrong" group, but yet he pulled away from the research after that one study.

I hope this is clear. I am so brain fogged today, it's hard for me to communicate. At least, that's how it seems to me.
  9. Orla

Orla Senior Member

Wow,

This just gets weirder and weirder.

Orla
  10. Robin

Robin Guest

Didn't they say that the cohort was global?
  11. Orla

Orla Senior Member

Robin, some of the people were originally from elsewhere (this is particularly relevant if people get the infection via parents). I don't know if it is known whether these people were living in the US at the time, or whether some had travelled to the US, or both.

Orla
  12. shrewsbury

shrewsbury member

Curiouser and curiouser!” cried Alice (she was so much surprised, that for the moment she quite forgot how to speak good English).
  13. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

It is a drama, eh?

I wish we knew how it was all going to end though.
  14. VillageLife

United Kingdom
    The WPI are very very confident in this letter, do you think it might be because they are finding XMRV in the new UK study participants (hope so!)
  15. rebecca1995

rebecca1995 Apple, anyone?

Northeastern US
    Yeah...if WPI had this info on positive samples "prior to the completion of" the Kerr and van Kuppeveld studies, why didn't WPI share it sooner? Like months ago, when the studies came out?

Unless...they're publishing a big study with this data, like, tomorrow?

:Sign Please:

We can hope! :D
  16. Rrrr

Rrrr Senior Member

villagelife: this is horrible. i'm so so so sorry they treated you like this!!! -- rrrr
  17. pollycbr125

pollycbr125 Senior Member

yorkshire
    perhaps WPI have been checking through all the legalities of making such a statement as this letter and that is why it has taken so long to compile making sure that everything they have stated can be backed up , that there is no loophole for anyone to jump through .

methinks pandoras box is well and truly open .

cant wait for the reactions to this ............... ding ding round 2
  18. Dr. Yes

Dr. Yes Shame on You

It's still only Round 2??? I'm already sucking oxygen!
  19. VillageLife

United Kingdom
    Here is some info from dr Kerrs study.

The subjects of this study were confirmed CFS patients from St George’s University of London, Barts and the London Hospital Trust, and Glasgow Caledonian University.

A total of 170 serum samples from CFS patients and 395 controls were used. A polymerase chain reaction assay was devised that could detect as little as 16 copies of proviral XMRV DNA (viral DNA integrated into human chromosomal DNA).No XMRV sequences were detected in 142 CFS samples and 157 controls.

A second method was then used to search for evidence of XMRV: the patient serum samples were examined for the presence of antibodies that could block infection of cells with the virus. Cells were infected with XMRV in the presence of serum from CFS patients or control patients. Included were sera known to block XMRV infection to ensure that the assay functioned normally. None of 142 CFS samples contained antibodies that could block XMRV infection of cells. In contrast, 22 samples out of 157 controls (14%) were identified that contained neutralizing activity. One of 28 CFS serum samples from a separate cohort was found to contain XMRV neutralizing activity; none of the 12 control sera could block XMRV infection.

THE WPI LETTER QUOTES..............
  20. Adam

Adam *****

Sheffield UK
    Excellent point Holmes (pollycbr). Not so much a letter as a statement they know McClure and chummies must respond to - or look stupid.

See more popular forum discussions.