• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

WPI Finds High Levels of Retrovirus in ME/CFS Patients

jackie

Anyone here a patient of Dr. John Chia...and have you spoken to him re: XMRV?

HI everyone! I'm sure there would be a better place to ask this question?!

But I've never started a new thread and can't figure that out right now....so please bear with me! (and feel free to move it or tell me how)..

I was wondering if anyone here has spoken to or had an appointment with Dr. John Chia (Infectious Disease Doc, in Southern California) since the XMRV news was published?

My next appointment is on the 9th...and I've been waiting anxiously for the day!

I always spend the week before my appts (I must wait approx. 4 months between them) preparing my questions, copying data I need explained - just getting my ducks in a row!

It would be nice to know ahead of time, what direction this "news" will take HIS work!

As Dr. Coffin mentioned during the CFSAC meeting...I.D. Dr's. and Virologists that have devoted their careers to their "pet projects" probably aren't going to immediately switch gears. They must continue to deal with the "chronics" like EBV, Enteroviruses (HIS baby!), CMV, HHV-6, LYME and all the rest!

At my last apt. Dr. Chia was VERY supportive of the WPI, and held Dr. Mikovits and Dr. Peterson in highest regard.

Thanks for the help guys!

jackie:)

usedtobeperkytina

ONly

Tee, from my understanding, there are only three infectious human retroviruses.

Coffin said there are many retroviruses that are benign in humans. And didn't he say that the murine leukemia virus similar to XMRV in humans has gotten to the point the mice have an immunity to it. Something about receptors...

The interesting thing is the difference in the retroviruses. Some don't cause any infection or illness. Others cause illness (leukemia) in some people but not others. And then there is HIV that will eventually kill 99.5% (if I remember Coffin's quote) of hosts.

So where does XMRV fall? How exciting. Some detective work. No wonder the retrovirologists of the world are interested.

And the studies will likely be different. They will look for the virus, then look for the affects caused by the virus. Up until the WPI announcement, they started with the illness and then looked for the virus.

Imagine that we have people go to their main street doctor and say, "I am feeling a little fatigued." Doctor asks a few questions, "How is your ability to think. Can you still do math real well? Are you feeling an hot flashes? Do you have any headaches that have changed recently? Do you sometimes get dizzy? Let me take your blood pressure while you are laying down and while you are standing up."

Then he says, "We are going to test you for lupus, RA, XMRV, and MS. We should have results in two weeks."

Two weeks later, doctor calls, "You need to come into my office we found you positive for XMRV. I would like to go over your treatment plan."

And when you go in, he hands you a handy brochure with info on how XMRV affects the body, what lifestyle changes you need to make, etc."

Just like all those other brochures for all those other illnesses we see in doctors' offices.

Tina

Tina

starryeyes

Hi Tina,

Thanks for clarifying that. I'm just learning about all this myself and you are far less fogged than I am so I appreciate you and anybody else explaining the science.

Your fantasy doctor visit scenario is awesome. I think that could very well be the future. What a relief that would be.

tee