1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

WPI are finding XMRV in 99% in CFS patients (Is this news or a mistake?)

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by Bob, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    Does anyone know if the WPI has now found XMRV in '99%' of it's original ME patient samples, using their latest, most refined testing, or is this a typo?
    (it was always reported as 97%, or was it 98%?)

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/723716

Update: I think it's a typo, and they've confused the 99 out of 101 patients, with the percentage figure.

Thinking about it, it would only mean finding XMRV in one extra sample anyway... Sorry... brain not engaging today... had to wake up early today.
  2. Carrigon

Carrigon Senior Member

PA, USA
    I think it's just too soon to know. I think the virus testing needs to be more refined first. It has to be more accurate. Then we all need to be tested and see if we show up with it.
  3. bullybeef

bullybeef Senior Member

North West, England, UK
    This was the unpublished data after the Science study. I think it was 99 out of 101 ME patients.
  4. bullybeef

bullybeef Senior Member

North West, England, UK
  5. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    Bob,

There was a similar quote from Dr Mikovits in the Independant newspaper report.

<indepenant quote>
    But the senior author of the study, Judy Mikovits, director of research at the Whittemore Peterson Institute in Reno, Nevada, said further blood tests have revealed that more than 95 per cent of patients with the syndrome have antibodies to the virus – indicating they have been infected with XMRV, which can lie dormant within a patient's DNA.
  6. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    Thanks for that...
    The percentage figure has always been 97% (or 98%?)...
    I think they have confused the 99 out of 101 patients with the percentage figure... so it's probably a typo.
  7. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Hi Bob

The 99 out of 101 translates to just over 98%. If testing really has improved, we will only see a very small increase in CFS XMRV prevalence. It is in the other associated diseases that we should see a big jump - autism, altypical MS, FM etc. It could, however, cause a major increase in population XMRV prevalence.

Bye
    Alex
  8. bullybeef

bullybeef Senior Member

North West, England, UK
    The 99 out of a 101 was reported by Dr. Bell last year in a lecture he presented. Don't believe it ever was a typo even then.
  9. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    But 99 out of 101 is 98%... not 99%... Anyway, I think the 99% figure is just a typo...
    I think they meant to say 99 out of 101 samples, or 98%, just as it's always been.

Apologies for the confusion.
  10. bullybeef

bullybeef Senior Member

North West, England, UK
    http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=200170205538

The 99% maybe confused for 99 positives.
  11. Bob

Bob

England, UK

See more popular forum discussions.