1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Join the National PR Campaign for ME: Power to the Patient (P2tP)
Have you had enough of all the neglect and abuse of ME/CFS patients? Gabby Klein says now is the time for a National PR Campaign for ME/CFS to impress a change. Join the Patient Revolution to restore power to ME patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Wounds Do Not Heal

Discussion in 'Skeleton, Skin, Muscles, Hair, Teeth, and Nails' started by collegeusername, Feb 16, 2013.

1. collegeusername

collegeusername

NY, USA
    Hey, I'm 9-10 months with CFS now and of the MILLION strange symptoms I have, this is one that really frustrates me and makes me think i have no hope: my wounds heal extremely slowly, become much more painful after-the-fact, and become yellowish and inflamed. and im no wimp!- I used to be a freestyle skier who would walk off broken fingers and gauges in my legs from falling. This applies to any size and location wound, from paper cuts to knife cuts- anything that draws blood. When I first got this, it was a lot worse, so that a paper cut was literally a 3 or 4-week commitment. Now it's not as bad, but still very slow and very unhealthy.

Does anyone else experience this and what is your story? Thanks

2. Seewell

Seewell Senior Member

Im to knacked to write anymore CUN,im no expert, but i think B vitamins are good for wound healing.If that helps

3. Rand56

Rand56 Senior Member

Myrtle Beach, SC
    Possible zinc deficiency?

adreno likes this.
  4. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Yes, I had the same problem for several years when I caught he virus that triggered my ME/CFS.

One thing that works very well to re-start / speed-up slow wound healing is topical zinc powder on the wound. Zinc powder can be obtained by crushing up zinc supplement tablet. You dab this zinc powder on the wound. You only need a small amount.

Topical arginine is worth trying too.

5. lef07003

lef07003

have you had your coritsol levels checked?
    I had surgery on my foot prior to becoming really ill and while the scar healed, it healed pretty poorly. The surgeon saw it this past summer (almost a year later) and commented that it looked like crap. I have done a million other nutritional things so I can't say for certain but it looks much better now and I have finally brought my cortisol levels down. I had elevated cortisol for almost a year (probably due to the stress the body is under) and a classic sign of prolonged elevated cortisol is poor wound healing ...just a thought.

6. Sherezade

Sherezade Guest

When i first got sick in february 2012 I had the same problem. Little wounds would not heal at all. Then i started taking magnesium and zinc and problem solved!

I take 650 mg of magnesium and 50 mg of zinc daily.

7. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    Sounds like zinc deficiency, as Rand suggested.

8. collegeusername

collegeusername

NY, USA
    I take heavy supplements, which include 50 mg of all B vitamins+ 45 mcg biotin, 500 mg Ca, 250 mg Mg, .5 mg Cu, 2.5 mg Mn, daily intakes of vitamins A C D and E, and a total of more than 15 mg Zn (which is the maximum daily absorption for an adult). I have not yet tried Zn powder, however

9. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    15mg zinc is not the maximum absorbable dose. I take 60mg daily. 15mg would have me into deficiency quite quickly.

10. collegeusername

collegeusername

NY, USA
    I asked my doctor, and he said 12 mg is all that my body can absorb (23 yr old male, small-medium stature); we went through all the vitamins

11. Hip

Hip Senior Member

12. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    Well, that is simply wrong. Or how do you think zinc toxicity occurs?

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Zinc-HealthProfessional/

Doctors say a lot of things. Some of them are accurate.

13. Rand56

Rand56 Senior Member

Myrtle Beach, SC
    This is just nuts. Time for another doctor maybe?

14. Sherezade

Sherezade Guest

This is what i take daily:

Vitamin A: 15.000 UI
    Vitamin C: 1.500 mg
    Vitamin D: 2.000 UI
    Vitamin E: 100 UI
    Thiamine: 25 mg
    Riboflavin: 12 mg
    Niacin: 60 mg
    Vitamin B6: 12 mg
    Folic Acid: 400 mcg
    Vitamin B12: 50 mcg
    Biotin: 5.000 mcg
    Panthotenic Acid: 75 mg
    Calcium: 150 mg
    Magnesium: 650 mg
    Zinc: 50 mg
    Selenium: 100 mcg
    Copper: 1 mg
    Manganase: 10 mg
    Chromium: 100 mcg
    Molybdenum: 25 mcg
    Potassium: 40 mg

I found in Amazon one complex that has all those vitamins and minerals, so i only have to swallow four pills. It's called CFS Support Formula by Douglas Labs. It also contains a mix of herbs like echinacea, shiitake, chamomile, licorice, golden seal and many others. I can't say that it has helped me with the fatigue, but certainly it has helped me with my hair, nails, skin, and with the candida. And with the wounds healing. Anyway, i'm not selling anything, but i can give you the link if you are interested.

15. Shell

Shell Senior Member

England
    I have the same problems. Drives me crackers. I use sudacrem a lot as it's high in zinc. I did try taking zinc tabs as well but to be honest the only thing I can do is just wait it out.

16. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    Another thing slow wound healing could be from is collagen problems, such as connective tissue disease. Many connective tissue diseases (such as Ehlers-Danlos syndrome) are hereditary but there are acquired kinds such as SLE, scleroderma, and undifferentiated connective tissue disease. A genetic CTD (which comes in various severities) makes getting an acquired form more likely.

It is my belief that ME could be a form of CTD.

merylg likes this.
  17. Tammy

Tammy Senior Member

New Mexico
    Silica

18. rlc

rlc Senior Member

Hi collegeusername, there are large number of possibilities that can cause poor wound healing, rigthdiagnosis lists these possibilities, see http://www.rightdiagnosis.com/symptoms/poor_wound_healing/causes.htm

And diagnosis pro lists these possibilities, see http://en.diagnosispro.com/differential_diagnosis-for/delayed-poor-wound-healing/33878-154.html

My recommendation would be to print out these lists and take them to your doctor, and see if there is anything that they have not tested you for, that are on these lists, and hopefully they will find the cause of your suffering.

Hope this helps

All the best

merylg likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.