• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Would I tolerate antibiotics?

outdamnspot

I've mentioned in Elph's threads that I have a gut dysbiosis that was picked up via Bioscreen testing (primarily a Strep and Prevotella overgrowth), with very low levels of good bacteria.

The onset of my illness was rapid and has progressively become rather disabling over the course of a year.

The biggest two problems are:

1. Severe psychiatric symptoms -- I have a long history of debilitating OCD, PTSD, depression. But this isn't like anything I've really experienced before: just 24/7 of the blackest depression, emotional emptiness, nervousness, agitation, aggression, confusion, suicidal ideation etc, I've read that some of these symptoms can be connected to dysbiosis and H2S-producing bacteria, though my doctor also thinks I have Bartonella, which can cause neuropsychiatric issues.

2. Frequent crashes from pretty much every supplement I try. If I don't take anything and just stick to my Keto diet + 1-2 cups of coffee, I am not well per se, but it's a familiar bad place that I can deal with. Right now, I am trying to work on methylation, but it's just extremely difficult to have the patience, especially coupled with problem #1. I overreact to things, don't really know what I'm doing, feel even worse (physically, mentally) from the crashes, get confused etc. And then because of the crashes, I get scared to experiment and don't get anywhere.

I've tried numerous methods to stabilize my adrenals so I can tolerate treatments -- HC, adrenal extracts, herbs, Earthing device etc. -- but nothing helped.

I am wondering if I may be better off asking my doctor to try an antibiotic like Rifaximin to see if clearing the gut infection might allow me to make more progress.

I have read several articles from practitioners who say that you can't really attend to methylation or anything else until the gut is treated; and also a comment from someone (Rich maybe?) who said that if methylation produces an intolerable detox reaction, then you need to try and deal with any primary infections first.

If I am in a very compromised, 'adrenal-crashed' state, is it possible that I won't be able to tolerate antibiotics? That is the reason my CFS doctor didn't want to prescribe them. But I also think that if I have to spend weeks on end titrating up B-vitamins, I probably won't survive too much longer. I don't expect an instant fix by any means, but I also feel like I can improve from being in constant hell 24/7.

dadouv47

I can't give you an accurate answer because it really depends on every case, but I have a lot of psychiatric symptoms (not as severe as yours) and I can't tolerate 99% of supplements I tried.

I was pretty scared to take antibiotics but in the end I tolerated rifaximin VERY well ( can't tell if it will make any good in the long term, but I tolerated it very well).

Again, I can't tell it's going to be the same for you. I know people who didn't tolerate it well, and some who did. But for the most part I think it's one of the antibiotics that people suffering from CFS support the best.

Hope it helped a bit ;)
Regards
David