August 8th, 2016: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Jody Smith joins with other ME voices in honor of Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Worth reading: Thinking Critically about ME research

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Keela Too, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Keela Too

Keela Too Sally Burch

N.Ireland
    Short read. Well said that man!

https://evanodell.com/blog/2017/10/03/thinking-critically-about-me-research/

"
    The laziest kind of statistical research is that which relies solely on presenting the results of statistical tests, without making any meaningfull effort to critically interpret the results. Prima facie acceptance, without critical inquiry, leads to noise being misidentified as meaningful, to bad science and bad policy.

With that in mind, it is worth taking a look at an article by Crawley et al (2017) published on 20 September 2017 in Archives of Disease in Childhood , investigating the effectiveness of the Lightning Process for children with myalgic encephalitis (ME, also known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or CFS)."

continues at link.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    Philipp, ahimsa, TiredSam and 12 others like this.
  2. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Senior Member

Good article, made more comprehensive and hard hitting by the addition of a comment by @Valentijn who spells out the inappropriateness of using questionnaires after a 'treatment' that involves brainwashing and magical thinking. Thanks to both.

Edit to add: I applaud blogs like this, but wonder whether anyone but the ME community will read them.

Richard7, MEMum, Esther12 and 6 others like this.
  3. Keela Too

Keela Too Sally Burch

N.Ireland
    @Valentijn Maybe you could copy your comment here too?

And I agree @trishrhymes blogs have limits, but it's always worth pointing out a good one I think.

MEMum, BurnA, Invisible Woman and 3 others like this.
  4. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

My comment:

See more popular forum discussions.