• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Worse OI After Flu

I have just had flu on top of ME for the first time in 20 years. High fever, aches and pains congestion and sore throat lasted 2 weeks- some time bed bound completely.
Now improving but the OI is so much worse- this morning BP was 99/64 lying pulse 71, but after standing for a few minutes and many error readings on BP machine it finally read 79/64 pulse 101.

Has anyone else found that a new infection triggers a worsening of the autonomic dysfunction?

I am using Energen C drinks and electrolyte solutions and adding more salt to my food.

I am thinking my ME is worse due to the relapse caused by the flu virus can anyone else tell me they have experienced this?

rosie26

Hi Machair

Hopefully with rest and what you are doing, you will eventually recover to your usual level. It could take a month or more for the OI to settle. Just rest as much as you can, really important.

I had Flu with high fever and severe body/bone aching at onset collapse with ME 12 years ago. I haven't had a flu since like that.

xchocoholic

My OI gets worse during illness too. When I had h pylori and parasites at the same time i could barely stand up. Luckily my Dr knew to look for these.

Fwiw, I was drinking teas that kill pathogens daily in 2005-6 and felt better. Pau d arco, olive leaf, clove and elderberry. I'm going to try that again to see if it helps my chronic OI. Thanks for the reminder.

tc ... x