• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Worried about my ratio of methylfolate to MB12--any insight?

caledonia

For the reasons listed by liverock, you're taking way too much folate relative to B12. Sources such as Rich Vank or Ben Lynch suggest getting 3:1 or 5:1 B12 to folate. I believe Freddd suggests a 1:1 ratio.

So my suggestion would be to actually reduce your folate to be in line with the B12.

You have the B12 Double Whammy, which is both MTR and MTRR mutations, both of which affect B12, then also two MTHFR (folate) mutations. I guess it's a tossup as to whether that's going to make your B12 mutations worse than your folate mutations. So whether 5:1 or 1:1 is better - you'll probably just have to experiment.

With the COMT mutations, hydroxy could also be a better choice than methyl B12. Have some niacin on hand as you're experimenting, in case your methylation takes off and goes into overmethylation. The niacin will soak up methyl groups and save you a lot of suffering.

With COMT mutations also take it easy with TMG as it's another methyl donor (TMG = tri methyl glycine). In fact, Yasko suggests using sunflower lecithin to get TMG instead of directly supplementing TMG. It requires conversion to make TMG, and it's also a lesser amount, so it's safer to try. Plus you get some choline for cell membrane support.

Regarding folate burnout, that info was from MTHFRsupport. Sterling was a little cryptic in the way she stated it, but I believe she was referring to not only folic acid, but also methylfolate. So that's why I posted in on here, because I know a lot of people are experimenting with that.

See "Start Low and Go Slow" and "Roadblocks to Successful Methylation" in my signature below.

stridor

@stridor THANK YOU for this tip on taking folate via buccal.:love: My first dose like this felt like rocket fuel! My sense is that what I was experiencing was a histamine rush from the 'over-methylation'. It calmed after I took my anti-hist supps. I'm omitting my PM dose, which means today I'm taking 10 instead of 15mg. Will see how this goes in the next days. Happy Happy!:woot:

Glad to hear it. For some reason yahoo elects to deliver about 1/4 of anything that I am tagged in. I have to come here and check alerts.