• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Worried about inhaled ozone

The gym i was trialling has a IR sauna unit, it looks like a cheap Chinese made one. I have been using it for up to 50min a day as alternative to traditional sauna, which I still use and will probably go back to.

The problem is, there is an air purifier/ionizer unit in there, looks like a cheap thing, that I thought was harmless to use, with one option for O3, one option for Ion. I left it on on the O3 (ozone) setting the last handful of times I have been in there. I had no idea it could be dangerous. I just searched online and saw inhaled ozone is a big no-no. When the unit is on the ozone setting there is a distinct smell. I am worried I have been harming myself by sitting in there and breathing it.

I am done with that facility, I will not be extending my pass there, so no worries using it again. The sauna itself seems like a piece of crap, it works to get a sweat on but the whole place is poorly maintained and dirty. I have alot of anxiety when it comes to my health, and this is not helping. I feel normal, which means not great, not really bad lately, but now everytime I get a weird sensation or headache I feel angry I may have unintentionally harmed myself. Every page I look up says inhaled ozone is bad.

I felt like I had to update to say I've calmed down. I struggle with health anxiety, started when I was really ill. Even on days I feel better, I still have this weird feeling that has stuck with me. I was mad when I wrote that post and probably a little irrational. When I feel unwell, I analyze every aspect of my life, and not having optimized for health conditions in my life sets off some anxiety. For example, I feel like I am doing myself a disservice if I even take a few sips of unfiltered tap water, or I eat produce grown with pesticides. Some of it is based in reality, some of it is a little out there, but I feel as if we are inundated with factors leading to poor health conditions-- a little bit is me feeling remorse for only turning my lifestyle around after I got ill.

I was pissed off about the sauna thing because I jumped into using it to improve my health, I had my doubts about the quality of the place. And only now I learned how cheap units give off EMF, plus the ozone thing, and just overall dissapointed with the health club. I am not going to renew my membership, the place is unkempt, filled with filthy people, and I just feel I need a better facility to approach wellness on my health journey. There is an indoor salt water pool facility with IR sauna geared towards different kind of clientelle, it is three times the price but I think it is my best option.

For anyone following this, I found a semi private indoor salt water pool and they also have IR saunas. I am getting a membership! It is pricy, but I hope worth it. The hot rock sauna at the YMCA is tough to stay in for long periods of time, I feel I get a more productive sweat in IR units. I also look forward to floating and swimming in the salt water pool. I have done some float therapy in isolation tanks and it is great for stress relief. The best part of this facility is no sharing it with meatheads and gym bunnies, lol.