• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Working on a Aminoacids rich, low Carbohydrates diet based on faulty PDH

Chocolove

Tournament of the Phoenix - Rise Again
@carer51 Quinoa has complete protein - all the essential amino acids one needs. Often plant protein is deficient in some. However you really need to make sure you get adequate B vitamins and may need to supplement to prevent serious deficiencies. Vegetarians often get in serious trouble with b12 deficiency.

I have issues about eating living things. But unfortunately there is no way around it, we have to eat living things to survive. I strive to be kind to plants and animals, kill humanely when I must, and not waste their sacrifice. You may find that your man needs organ meats like liver to heal. Plants have many necessary and beneficial components, but humans are omnivores.

Jenny TipsforME

carer51

carer/partner of moderate/severe sufferer
@Chocolove We do supplement b vitamins and high dose sublingual b12, and flax oil for the omegas. Haha I don't think I could get him to eat liver vegetarian or not :p

I'm not into the texture of quinoa even myself but might buy some more, none in the cupboard right now, can always add it to other dishes. I think lentils and rice address a complete profile too or at least that's my undertanding.

arewenearlythereyet

@Chocolove We do supplement b vitamins and high dose sublingual b12, and flax oil for the omegas. Haha I don't think I could get him to eat liver vegetarian or not :p

I'm not into the texture of quinoa even myself but might buy some more, none in the cupboard right now, can always add it to other dishes. I think lentils and rice address a complete profile too or at least that's my undertanding.

It's not so bad if you mix it up with some salad leaves. Bulgur wheat ( or freekeh if you're fancy) mixed with it is quite good to break up the claggy texture. I have no idea why anybody thinks quinoa porridge is a good idea though? ...think that must be a London or more specifically a Kensington thing.

I eat a chicken breast, 3 eggs and a handful of almonds a day...and whatever I fancy for dinner some times quinoa when I can be bothered and when I have enough carbs left for the day. I've never played around with amino acids or protein isolates though.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
I can make a passable scrambled egg or omelette with it as well as various other things) but he wasn't that into it, probably because I added a scoop of pea protein powder which has a weird texture,

Eggs are high in protein, I think 8g each, so there's no need to add protein powder to them. You can add a variety of veggies to an omelette. Cheddar or Swiss cheese also go well if he can tolerate dairy, and that will bump up the protein count without having to resort to protein powders.

Here are some tasty things to add to eggs:
Sweet or yellow onion and cheddar cheese (grate the onion and cheddar cheese)
Spinach, Swiss cheese and mushrooms
Bacon, tomato and cheddar cheese (you can probably buy bacon bits made from soy)

carer51

carer/partner of moderate/severe sufferer
Eggs are high in protein, I think 8g each, so there's no need to add protein powder to them. You can add a variety of veggies to an omelette. Cheddar or Swiss cheese also go well if he can tolerate dairy, and that will bump up the protein count without having to resort to protein powders.

Here are some tasty things to add to eggs:
Sweet or yellow onion and cheddar cheese (grate the onion and cheddar cheese)
Spinach, Swiss cheese and mushrooms
Bacon, tomato and cheddar cheese (you can probably buy bacon bits made from soy)

I'm talking about making alternatives with chickpea/gram flour as we don't currently eat eggs or dairy, it works really well, you can make meringue with chickpea water too miraculously, if you're that way inclined, i'm not, I'm terrible at baking.

Chocolove

Tournament of the Phoenix - Rise Again

Jody

@Jody has been on a succesful high protein diet for a few years,she may have a few tips
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Liverock:) The most helpful thing I can contribute may be no help at all however.

I was on a high protein high fat diet for about 8 years. I was astonished at the dramatic drop in most of my symptoms. And when I'd stray toward more carbs or more junk:) my symptoms would increase again.

Then I started putting on weight again for no reason I can figure out. Looked at my diet, did some research. Seems like I may have been eating too much protein, not enough healthy fats. I know high carbs is bad for me, I get neurological weirdness, feeling like I am vibrating, with little electrical pops and stabs and numbness. Also anxiety attacks and head fog, gastric problems, among other distressing symptoms. When I get away from the high carbs -- mostly sugar in processed foods and starches -- bread, noodles and the like -- the symptoms decrease again.

Right now I am looking for a proper balance again, putting on weight is an indicator that my diet isn't right for me. Plus, I don't like being fat.:)

Re -- the fact that there is no one diet that works for all of us -- My son Jesse has ME/CFS, and he apparently needs lower protein, possibly lower fat as well, and higher carbs to be at his best. We could not live on each other's diets and be at our best.

arewenearlythereyet

LOL Well, if you're looking for another source of protein I've read that insects are the current fad. Eating lower on the food chain would save water and create less harvest of animals perhaps. Check out this article:
http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2017/01/16/crickets-make-leap-in-demand-as-new-protein.html

Ahh delicious cricket protein. I have actually tried some of this stuff for work..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Nutritio...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TF9WDBFPPEM7M0VAVN3F

Some flavours are better at masking the horrible taste. It's kind of got a mealy texture like dried beans, might just be the drying process I guess. If this is the future ....i guess we will all have to get used to eating a lot more processed food.