Lipkin's Monster ME/CFS Study: Microbes, Immunity & Big Data
The Microbe Discovery Project outlines an ambitious new study by top researchers that has collected patient samples, but needs desperately funds to complete the work.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Working from Home

Discussion in 'Finances, Work, and Disability' started by David Jackson, Jul 10, 2017.

1. markielock

markielock staying independent, one day at a time

Scotland, UK
    @caledonia No problem :). Yeah, passive income would be considered income and I believe you would be considered self employed too! That's in the UK anyway, I doubt it'd be much different in the US. I also very much recommend Fizzle, I have gone through a lot of their material and it was really good :).

2. wonderoushope

wonderoushope Senior Member

I'm like @jaybird1 an artist and sell my work online on etsy, retailers and my own online store. Nice work @jaybird1 :)

I don't sell originals, so I just sell prints of my work, which is really handy, because it means work I created 6 years ago is still selling to this day. In fact my oldest work is the most popular!

3. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    Hmmm, I have a ton of old artwork just sitting around doing nothing. Do you physically make the prints and mail them out, or is there a service that makes them on demand and ships them when there is an order?

Also can you post a link to your etsy or online store (or send me a PM if you would prefer not to post it publicly).

4. wonderoushope

Hi there,

Yes physically make and post prints. I have a large fine art printer. I do have orders for extra, extra large prints and I get those printed externally. There are printing places that ship on demand, like society6, redbubble (they don't print on fine art paper), and well I am in Australia so I have found print places in Australia to print.

I am also trialling a digital downloadable version of my art (to remove the printing and packaging part), but so far not that profitable.

If you don't have much energy, printing in-house can be a little energy draining. I can handle it as I have orders that ship within 1-5 days so, I just do it on the days I have more energy to print and package products.

I will PM you my links.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  5. Tammy

Tammy Senior Member

New Mexico
    Is there a place we can see your work?

6. wonderoushope

Hi there,
    I just don't feel comfortable posting it on here as I have written more personal things on the forum and don't want the two to connect.

Tammy likes this.
  7. perovyscus

perovyscus

99% of my income comes from one site, it is truly passive, and made $27,500 over 5 years for one hours work.

I have approximately 40 other sites that I have made $111 from over 5 years (this is about break even for its investment). These stats are shown here, 2.4k visitors on Google, 12k visitors for my Amazon sites. If you are thinking about blogging, it is extremely tough with ad revenues and Amazon shrinking.

Ideally I would need to learn freelance coding - or something that pays $60 an hour, as I can work only about 5 hours per week.

Attached Files:

• dog.png
      dog.png
      File size:
      46.5 KB
      Views:
  8. Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins 75% Smurf; 100% Immoral

Such beautiful, beautiful work.

jaybird1 likes this.
  9. Mary Poppins

@David Jackson

As an academic, could you do tutoring or mentoring of university students?

Sorry if it's been mentioned already, I haven't read the whole thread.

10. David Jackson

David Jackson Senior Member

@Mary Poppins: thanks for the reply!

Sorry, I haven't come online in ages, as I've been doing really well. Soon as you get some energy back, things start to get busy.

Tutoring is a great idea; unfortunately, I live a long way from the university... as in 400km away. So I'm not sure how feasible it would be. But thanks for the suggestion!

11. Mary Poppins

Given that whole degrees are able to be completed online without any face to face contact hours these days, I assume it's a markedly more feasible option than what it might have been a decade ago.

David Jackson likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.