• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Woo!! Finally got Metametrix results! Now what??

NilaJones

I have read @caledonia's lovely writeup, and have been binging on threads here about RS, prebiotics, and histamine-safe probiotics. I ordered a bunch of stuff :) and have started tapioca starch, since I had some on hand for cooking. It's definitely got things churning. I plan to try larch and ortho-biotic next.

I am low in lactobaccillus and bifidobacteria. I have Aeromonas (which I find very little info on), but no parasites or yeast (which is surprising and happy news.) Very high pH (alkaline).

I expected a lot more from Metametrix. Has it changed? Am I missing part of the report? Mine only talks about families of bacteria, not individual strains, and the massive guide seems to assume I have more data than I do.

Is there anything else I should try -- or watch out for? I can't digest the whole 100-page thread, but am reading bits and pieces...

(BTW, it took 10 weeks to get my results, if anyone wants to know current timeframes.)

(Tagging in people who have been fabulously helpful in the past, in case they are inclined to pitch in again: @ahmo @Star-Anise @Sushi @Critterina . Love you all :).)

Last edited:

ahmo

@NilaJones I don't have any help, don't know specific bacteria regimens, but it's nice to see you posting again.
waving-1048.gif

NilaJones

@NilaJones I don't have any help, don't know specific bacteria regimens, but it's nice to see you posting again.
waving-1048.gif
Hi ahmo!!!

I am kind of a binge phoenix-aholic. I come here, read a ton, post a little, then get overwhelmed and stay away for a few months, then come back for another round.

I am incredibly, tremendously grateful to the people here. I think methylation literally saved my life. I better @Freddd in here, since I see he is back (!). And @richvank, RIP.

And thank YOU so much for your research into histamine-compatible probiotics!!! That was amazing.

Star-Anise

Hi @NilaJones
So nice to hear from you.

I have had a long hx of working on my gut issues. What I have learned is that the metametrix testing is very useful in giving us a snapshot of our gut flora & what may be occurring, however, it may not be the whole picture - this makes sense especially in terms of the yeast.

I'm just beginning to figure this out. But there seems to be a relationship between metals & yeast in the gut, and as the body releases metals, more yeast can be found. From my random internet readings - no source readily avail at this moment - but easy to find when googling, it seems that the yeast is bound to the metals, and acts as a barrier to protect the body from the full toxic effects of the metals.

While this is anecdotal information primarily, it definitely seems to be my experience currently. I am doing a metal cleanse under the umbrella of Nutritional Balancing with Theresa Vernon. Recently I have had some heavy detox days that have now been followed with what feels like a flare up in yeast - which I have not had for years.

I don't know about the Aeromonas off the top of my head.

But the fact that you are low in lactobacillus & bifido means, as you are already doing, that you need probiotics.

I think that one of the main benefits that could be derived from this test at this point is to rule out any parasites. There are some that say that they may show up later. But for this point, at least you can cross that off your list.

My personal experience with Resistant Starch recently has been very, very good. However, word to the wise, as you increase RS you may have to adjust your methylfolate. I'm slowly finding that I need to wean off of mine, otherwise I get too agitated. And I would recommend starting real slow, which sounds like you are already doing. I started at 1/4 teaspoon per day of Bob Red Mill's Unmodified Potato Starch.

All the very best, S

Critterina

Hi Nila,

Sorry I didn't see this in my alerts! I just found this thread as I was researching which forum would be best if I started one about gut healing for histamine intolerance. I find that some of the recommendations for gut healing (especially 4R) are contraindicated by the histamine intolerance.

I have a hypothesis, that if certain strains of probiotics produce byproducts that bother me, such as those in yogurt, having them set up shop in my gut would be a recipe for being sick all the time. So I did a bit of research and decided I'd try the 4X-Pro B available only online at Costco. It has a ton of Bifidobacteria, four species, all OK for the histamine intolerant gut, from what I can tell.

So, I have been taking that probiotic and it hasn't effected my histamine intolerance, but it's had good effect on my stools: darker and smoother - not full of visible undigested stuff. But when I stop taking them, it's like I never did. I guess they are not setting up shop inside me. That's what led to the 4R investigation: make a health environment so they good guys will stay around.

The Lactobacillus are a tougher problem: some of them create histamines, some don't, and even withing a species (like acidophilus) there is a lot of variation. I'm was trying to figure that out genetically - which had DAO genes that would destroy histamines, which were used to make things like yogurt that cause trouble. Didn't get too far with that. There's a strain of L. acidophilus NCFM that was developed at the University of North Carolina that has been used in a lot of scientific research. I haven't found it in stores, and I keep getting the run-around about when/if I'll have to travel for work, so I can't order online and know I'll be home to get it.

I looked up Aeromonas and probably found only what you already did: that it causes gas and diarrhea and is resistant to some drugs, but in the US the strains are susceptible to Cipro.

I decided to do the 4R program, then do the Metamatrix test. I couldn't imagine finding anything that would tell me that it's the wrong thing to do.

So, out of all this, what is helpful to you? Maybe not much. Maybe the Costco probiotic. Looks like you're doing and looking at doing the right things.

Love you! :love:

end

On the subject of Lactobacillus. Some of us have D-Lactate issues(like me)and can only use the NON Lactate producing probiotic strains. Lacto GG or Rhamnosus is my favourite so far, has also been shown to reduce allergic reactions and/or eczema and increase SIgA levels

NilaJones

Thank you everyone!

My typing ability is starting to return after recent methylation experiment, so I can reply a little better :).

I have a hypothesis, that if certain strains of probiotics produce byproducts that bother me, such as those in yogurt, having them set up shop in my gut would be a recipe for being sick all the time.

I worry about that, too!

So I did a bit of research and decided I'd try the 4X-Pro B available only online at Costco. It has a ton of Bifidobacteria, four species, all OK for the histamine intolerant gut, from what I can tell.

Great find :). I think you told me this in pm, but I was going through a rough patch, health-wise and forgot!

Is a Costco membership required?

Have you seen @ahmo's wonderful list here, of histamine-safe probiotics from iherb? I got a bottle of ortho-biotic, which I will try when able to handle possible reaction.

Love you! :love:

Love you, too :).

NilaJones

Hi @NilaJones
So nice to hear from you.

I have had a long hx of working on my gut issues. What I have learned is that the metametrix testing is very useful in giving us a snapshot of our gut flora & what may be occurring, however, it may not be the whole picture - this makes sense especially in terms of the yeast.

I'm just beginning to figure this out. But there seems to be a relationship between metals & yeast in the gut, and as the body releases metals, more yeast can be found. From my random internet readings - no source readily avail at this moment - but easy to find when googling, it seems that the yeast is bound to the metals, and acts as a barrier to protect the body from the full toxic effects of the metals.

While this is anecdotal information primarily, it definitely seems to be my experience currently. I am doing a metal cleanse under the umbrella of Nutritional Balancing with Theresa Vernon. Recently I have had some heavy detox days that have now been followed with what feels like a flare up in yeast - which I have not had for years.

Interesting. I don't have any reason to think i have yeast.... but I have not looked into it at all. I have a ton of amalgam fillings, and it sounds like it's bad to attempt metal detox without removing?

I think that one of the main benefits that could be derived from this test at this point is to rule out any parasites. There are some that say that they may show up later. But for this point, at least you can cross that off your list.

I was very surprised to come up neg for those, given my life history! Lots of wilderness camping, etc.

My personal experience with Resistant Starch recently has been very, very good. However, word to the wise, as you increase RS you may have to adjust your methylfolate. I'm slowly finding that I need to wean off of mine, otherwise I get too agitated. And I would recommend starting real slow, which sounds like you are already doing. I started at 1/4 teaspoon per day of Bob Red Mill's Unmodified Potato Starch.
Oh, that is very helpful, thanks!

So far I am doing 1 teasp tapioca starch on alternate days. It plugs me up, which gives me the opp to take more magnesium, which is probably good. I will increase the starch once I feel that balance is worked out.

All the very best, S

It's delightful to be back in touch with you. How are you???

NilaJones

On the subject of Lactobacillus. Some of us have D-Lactate issues(like me)and can only use the NON Lactate producing probiotic strains. Lacto GG or Rhamnosus is my favourite so far, has also been shown to reduce allergic reactions and/or eczema and increase SIgA levels
Thank you!

I do fine with dairy (careful testing of tolerance), but I do have eczema and allergies to other stuff, so maybe this will help!

Star-Anise

Hi @NilaJones - yes so very nice to connect :)

I don't have any reason to think i have yeast.... but I have not looked into it at all. I have a ton of amalgam fillings, and it sounds like it's bad to attempt metal detox without removing?

I would say - yes. There does seem to be varying opinions of this in the community. Mercury toxicity as a whole seems to be a sensitive topic.

For myself - removal of my amalgam fillings was crucial to increase my tolerance of methyl agents. I'm curious if it is contributing to your difficulties with upping B12 actually now that I think of it.

So far I am doing 1 teasp tapioca starch on alternate days. It plugs me up, which gives me the opp to take more magnesium, which is probably good. I will increase the starch once I feel that balance is worked out.

Good plan. I had the opportunity to connect with Gestalt from these forums yesterday & have a quite a bit more information that I can pass on your way re: next steps. PM when you feel you are ready for more info. I'll personally be looking at introducing Larch & perhaps GOS: http://www.bimuno.com/about-us/bimuno-research-and-clinical-trials/ Thank-you @Gestalt !

all the very best my friend xoxo S

Last edited:

Star-Anise

@Critterina @end
What do u think about this one?
https://www.biokplus.com/en-us/original
It was recommended to me by Gestalt as well.
I'm quite nervous about trying dairy again. But their rice formula has nutritional yeast in it. Unfortunately I think I've been having a return if my old yeast foe so may need to stay away from that... Taking primal defence probiotics right now & seems to be helping....

S

NilaJones

@Critterina @end
What do u think about this one?
https://www.biokplus.com/en-us/original
It was recommended to me by Gestalt as well.
I'm quite nervous about trying dairy again. But their rice formula has nutritional yeast in it. Unfortunately I think I've been having a return if my old yeast foe so may need to stay away from that... Taking primal defence probiotics right now & seems to be helping....

S
Well, the L. casei in it might not be good for folks with histamine issues (I don't know if you have that?).

Personally, I do great with dairy but react to rice!

You could try their capsules first (which 'may contain traces of milk'). Or you could try whatever milk product you think you are least likely to react to, before adding the probiotic. Separate the variables :).