Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Women who use pesticides have double the risk of autoimmune diseases lupus and rheumatoid arthritis

Discussion in 'Immunological' started by Hip, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Hip

Hip Senior Member

A 2011 study of nearly 77,000 women found that those who personally mixed or applied insecticides for 20 years had double the rate of the autoimmune conditions rheumatoid arthritis and systemic lupus erythematosus.

Hiring a gardener or commercial company to apply insecticides also resulted in a doubling of risk (if this was done on a long-term basis):

Article: Lupus and other Autoimmune Diseases Linked to Insecticide Use

Article: Pesticides Linked to RA, Lupus Risk

Study: Insecticide use and risk of rheumatoid arthritis and systemic lupus erythematosus in the Women's Health Initiative Observational Study

In the case of ME/CFS, exposure to "sheep dip" organophosphate pesticides increases the risk of developing ME/CFS by a staggering fourfold. Ref: 1

And in this thread, I speculate that the large increase in pesticide usage in the period from 1960 to 1980 might have been the reason for the huge increase in ME/CFS incidence that occurred in the 1980s (the incidence in ME/CFS increased by fivefold to eightfold by the end of the 1980s).

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  2. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem All Good Things Must Come to an End

I didn't read all of the links. Is this just about insecticides applied to plant or would it also apply to insect repellents applied to animals such as horses? (or even insect repellents applied to people).

3. Kina

Kina

Sofa, UK
    The title of this thread is totally misleading.

Valentijn likes this.
  4. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Totally misleading? I don't see how the excerpts you quoted equate to "totally misleading".

The results of this large study are consistent with other studies on pesticides that show a link between domestic and occupational pesticide exposures and diseases such as ME/CFS and Parkinson's.

There are several studies showing links between pesticide exposure and ME/CFS, and dozens of studies on the pesticide–Parkinson's link. For example, this study found that frequent household use of organophosphate pesticides is associated with double the risk of developing Parkinson's.

And the following studies link ME/CFS to the organophosphate-, pyrethroid- and organochlorine-classes of pesticides:

Organophosphate pesticides and ME/CFS: 1 2
    Pyrethroid pesticides and ME/CFS: 1 2
    Organochlorine pesticides and ME/CFS: 1 2

Personally I think it is unwise to use pesticides inside the home or in the garden. Even the so-called organic pyrethrin pesticides derived from chrysanthemum plants probably pose health risks, although such pyrethroids are less toxic to humans than organophosphates.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    pattismith and Abha like this.
  5. Hip

Hip Senior Member

The following article examines the association between pesticides and various diseases:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    pattismith likes this.
  6. Hip

Hip Senior Member

The insect repellent usually used is DEET. I am not aware of links between DEET and an increase risk of developing chronic diseases. So using DEET insect repellents seems relatively safe. Plus insect repellents help prevent insect-bourne diseases such as malaria, dengue fever, West Nile virus, Ross River virus, etc.

Little Bluestem likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.