Phoenix Rising tells QMUL: release the PACE trial data
Mark Berry, Acting CEO of Phoenix Rising, presents the Board of Directors’ open letter to Queen Mary University of London (QMUL) urging them to release the PACE trial data, and hopes that other non-UK organisations will join British charities in the same request...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Woman 'with ME' won world kickboxing champs

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by JohntheJack, Dec 2, 2017.

1. JohntheJack

JohntheJack Senior Member

Swansea, UK
    andyguitar and lauluce like this.
  2. lauluce

lauluce as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope

argentina
    that makes no sense... you can't even do kickboxing with ME

Mel9, HowToEscape?, MEMum and 3 others like this.
  3. Thinktank

Thinktank Senior Member

Europe + Asia
    I've seen how kickboxers and muay thai fighters train, it's brutal and no way a person with ME can do that.

4. hellytheelephant

hellytheelephant Senior Member

S W England
    A lot of us people with ME couldn't get themselves to the venue and lace up their boots!

Jessie 107, MEMum, alex3619 and 4 others like this.
  5. Zara

Zara

Netherlands
    I have done cpet in 2days..just 10 minutes on bike each time. My muscles are burning by lactate overload...i can not lift anything..holding on to my phone while typing this makes my muscles in arms burn. I am typing while laying down.

Impossible that this woman has ME. Maybe orher type of fatigue due to other illness like sjogre..venus williams as example.

6. Zara

Zara

Netherlands
    Ooh she hasbeen through lots of psychological traumas and stress...that also can make you fatigue..

ukxmrv and andyguitar like this.
  7. andyguitar

andyguitar Senior Member

South east England
    Is it a hoax? Is she really Crawley in disguise?

Mel9, JohntheJack and Grigor like this.
  8. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    I had a “remission” and tried to run, first day 2 min on two off for 20min. Second day started the same about min5 could not run again and walk the rest 15min. Third day I run the first 2 min. Relapsed for 2 years and still recovering. Just saying.

MastBCrazy, Mel9 and Zombie_Lurker like this.
  9. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    Is there a way to know if the article is sponsored or payed for???

MastBCrazy likes this.
  10. calsi

calsi

this would be really hard to believe as true

andyguitar likes this.
  11. tinacarroll27

tinacarroll27 Senior Member

UK
    I had 10 years in remission (mild ME) but was still having some symptoms. I think I still had ME during those 10 years because I was getting PEM but it took a lot to set it off. During that time I managed to go to university. I could move around and walk very well back then, although I was not very fit and I got tired very easy and got the bus everywhere. No way could I have done a sport even back then, and I think I just learn to pace really well and the ME was milder. Now I am severe so I get PEM from going to the toilet. So sports now? only if you want to kill me!!!!!!

panckage, lauluce, MEMum and 2 others like this.
  12. tinacarroll27

tinacarroll27 Senior Member

UK
    It probably is Crawley in a wig!!!!!!!

lauluce likes this.
  13. andyguitar

andyguitar Senior Member

South east England
    Maybe it's a typo error. should read "computer game click boxing"

Mel9, lauluce and MEMum like this.
  14. NL93

NL93 Senior Member

The Netherlands
    Obvious misdiagnosis is obvious

Abrin and lauluce like this.
  15. lauluce

lauluce as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope

argentina
    exactly the same here, 10 minutes running for cpet, and my body fails completely

Mel9 likes this.
  16. Murph

Murph :)

As someone who has been through some really strong remissions, I can't rule it out.

During those remissions I thought I was cured. It's now only when I look back that I can see that I was still able to induce PEM, it just was a lot harder to make it happen.

My advice to this lady would be to hang up her boots though. You'll only make yourself sicker.

Abrin, Mel9 and RogerBlack like this.
  17. HowToEscape?

HowToEscape? Senior Member

If she is self diagnosed or even if she is diagnosed by a practitioner with some sort of kind of understanding of him he has in it is quite likely she never had it to begin with. It is possible that she was relatively strong to begin with and is having a great remission.

I suspect some of us had an earlier stage of the owners many years before we became disabled, and in the interim (years’ worth) were well enough to do things like run half marathons or perhaps even the full one.

Any number of undiagnosed conditions could cause systemic tiredness weakness or fatigue and many of those conditions can spontaneously resolve. Having fully developed ME and soon bouncing back into competitive athletic shape just doesn’t add up.

lauluce and E.man like this.
  18. RogerBlack

RogerBlack Senior Member

"add up" ... for the typical course of the disease.

There have been no (?) rigorous studies of what the normal disease process is in people with CFS/ME in the long-term.

Do 50% of people recover to pre-morbid functioning soon after being badly affected - certainly not.
    Do 1%? We have no idea.

ME/CFS is also a diagnosis of exclusion.
    Viruses can - in some cases of people with rare genetic mutations cause specific very odd symptoms in people.

We know that ME/CFS is not genomically linked simply to anything, but know much less about specific subgroups of the population that might get rapidly better.

ME/CFS seems likely to be a dysfunction of the immune system. The right 'perfect storm' of odd conditions might snap the immune system back to normal, for some patients.
    I don't think it's very safe to say much more than 'did not follow the typical course of the disease'. And it'd be better to say that in 50 years time after we see she diddn't relapse.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    Abrin, HowToEscape? and Mel9 like this.
  19. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
    Maybe it was the last bit of post viral fatigue that can last upto two years or depression

lauluce likes this.
  20. HowToEscape?

HowToEscape? Senior Member

Agreed. I just couldn’t think clearly and comprehensively enough to frame it that way. Cognitive affects of this condition turn one into a Dorian Gray.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017

See more popular forum discussions.