1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 2 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. This second article in a 2-Part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS....
Discuss the article on the Forums.

"Wine-tasting: it's junk science" (statistical methods and the like)

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Dolphin, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Ok, this article is reasonably off-topic. However, I think a few people might find it of interest because it brings in issues about:

(i) how one might assess wine-tasters (statistics);

(ii) how various factors can bias reports e.g. different colours of wine.

Also,
    (iii) I have to admit I get a bit of a kick when I read examples of when experts are found not to be the "great" (valid/reliable) experts they are held up to be/make themselves out to be. Some people can be too willing to accept the word of experts without good evidence, in my mind.

Some people might be interested in the chemistry bits from a general knowledge point of view.

Valentijn likes this.
  2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Ta D.

Reading that made me really want some wine. Yum.

I thought they slightly over-did the piece - plus or minus four points in a scale of 50 sounds pretty good for something as necessarily subjective as flavour assessment imo. It would be foolish to treat these sorts of things as if they could be entirely reliable.

Which is not to say that there's not a lot of shit talked in these sorts of areas (playthings for the rich - wine, fine-dining, hi-fi, cars, art, etc).

Also... cheap wine is now meant to be much better than it used to be, and can be intended to be an easier drink. I'm starting to ramble.

I really miss wine.

Valentijn likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.