• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Window for Antivirals?

nryanh94

Hi all,

I’ve seen posted a few times/statements from different doctors that there is a window of time in which antivirals work/are more effective.

I’ve had this illness for a little over a year now and didn’t know if I was past that window.

Is there a consensus on how long that is, or does it vary so much that no one really knows.

Wonkmonk

As far as I know, in his latest lecture (posted here elsewhere), Dr Montoya - if I understood correctly - says antivirals plus anti-inflammatory medications work at any stage of disease (so the window is unlimited). Conversely, Dr Lerner found that those who seek treatment later do not respond as well as those who seek treatment early.

But one year is quite early, I haven't seen anything that would suggest that antivirals couldn't be effective after one year.

Diwi9

Administrator
I believe the Columbia research team targeted the 3-year mark as some sort of immune transition point. Don't know if that transition applies for treatment with AV's, but you are still early in this.

alex3619

With acute viral illness the window is typically just days. If you have been sick longer than that then they wont usually give them to you.

Stanford uses them for up to five years, and at any stage of the illness, with moderate success. However they are starting to think its secondary properties of specific antivirals that help, not the primary antiviral function.

Discussion on a window depends on what is meant by a window. It also depends on what is being treated. There is no good evidence that the antiviral properties are what makes the difference except in cases with provable chronic viral infection or reactivation, which is definitely a real thing in a minority.

Diwi9

Administrator
Stanford uses them for up to five years, and at any stage of the illness, with moderate success. However they are starting to think its secondary properties of specific antivirals that help, not the primary antiviral function.
Not trying to go to far OT, but what secondary properties are they thinking attribute to improvement...if you know?