1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 2: Pathogens and the Gut
Mark Berry continues his series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with the emphasis shifting from autoimmunity to pathogens and the gut ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Will taking beta blocker from 2008 hurt me?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by CAcfs, Sep 6, 2012.

1. CAcfs

CAcfs Senior Member

Hey all, I have been wanting to retry my beta blocker, but the stuff I have sitting around here was filled in August 2008. I kinda wanted to try it without having to go back to the doctor.....you think I should I try it, or will it hurt me?

I know some kinds of Doxycycline can go bad over time and they decompose into something harmful, and it can really hurt you, but I haven't heard of this kind of a phenomenon with any other prescription drugs.
  2. Kina

Kina Moderation Team Lead

Ontario, Canada
    I would suggest calling a pharmacist and asking them. Most meds lose potency over time and some do become harmful.
    taniaaust1 likes this.
  3. CAcfs

CAcfs Senior Member

Hmm, that is not a bad suggestion, however, recently I asked a pharmacist if I could take expired Adderall because there is a huge shortage in the U.S., and he told me they don't recommend taking expired prescriptions. That is ALL he would say, even when I pressed him, and said, "but my doctor wants me to take it, and you guys can't get it for months..." So it was frustrating. It wasn't an educated answer he was giving me, just a generic answer. :(

I realize no one here is a pharmacist, but just wanting opinions on what you all would do...no pressure though, only answer obviously if you feel like giving your random two cents.
  4. Kina

Kina Moderation Team Lead

Ontario, Canada
    There is a reason why meds have an expiration date. You really should see your doctor related to this med because you haven't taken it for four years. There may be contraindications. If they have lost potency, then you won't get any effect anyways. My opinion is to see your doctor and get a new prescription.
  5. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    Can you phone your doctor and ask him seeing he wanted you to take it..

See more popular forum discussions.