1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Will liver and kidney detox supplements make medications less effective?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by TheMoonIsBlue, May 11, 2012.

1. TheMoonIsBlue

TheMoonIsBlue Senior Member

So I have been wondering and hope someone can chime in.....will supplements that help cleanse the liver and protect it from the harmful effects of medications, etc... Make medications less effective?

I have been reading others posts about supporting detoxification of liver and kidneys using things such as milk thistle, artichoke, dandelion, curcumin, and other things........but will these things make our liver "kick out" any medications we take more rapidly? A lot of meds I think are changed in the liver (I think this is one reason grapefruit juice is counter indicated with certain meds).

Anyone have any input? I want a liver that is detoxing well but also want my meds to work lol

2. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
  3. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    Some herbals speed up drug metabolism, some slow it down.

4. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    I found this from a 2005 issue of The Townsend Letter:

http://the-medical-dictionary.com/flagyl_article_4.htm

See more popular forum discussions.