• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Will Adensylcobalamin with methylfoalte create deficiency?

Adlyfrost

FYI taking 100 methylfolate and about one mg ADB12. Not sure how much I'm getting because it dissolves so fast being from a ten mg sublingual tab.

Last edited:

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
It might cause a deficiency of other B vitamins. Taking a low dose B complex with B9 and B12 is a good idea. You will find threads on the subject here.

PeterPositive

When I started taking B vitamins, I was taking a B complex with folic acid (ugh!) and Adenosyl-B12 (~800mcg).
At the time I was also trying methyl-B12 but it was too strong for me so I kept going with the B complex for a while and it helped anyways. Eventually I was able to introduce a bit of methyl-B12 and gradually build it up to a full 1mg dose. Took me almost 1 year to get there.

As Little Bluestem said, taking a B complex is usually best since all vitamins in the group work together.

Adlyfrost

It might cause a deficiency of other B vitamins. Taking a low dose B complex with B9 and B12 is a good idea. You will find threads on the subject here.

Thanks. Yes I am taking 1/4 tab 2x day of Bcomplex by country life that has no folate or B12. I wish it had a little bit of methylB12 so I could acclimate myself to it, but I don't want the folate from a B complex, esp. right now. I am keeping dose of B complex low as warned by Fred. I also take an extra few mg's of B1 with K supplements because it helps my heart rhythm- I think unless it is just psychological.

Good news that you were eventually able to tolerate mB12 @PeterPositive .

whodathunkit

Any supplement with any niacin in it at all gives me problems. I wound up taking all my B vitamins piece-meal, in their most active forms, because I couldn't find a b complex with no form of niacin in it whatsoever.

Taking piece-meal turned out to be very effective. And now I'm fairly stabilized I don't seem to need much of the B's besides what I get in my food. Except for the B12's and methylfolate, of course, and I'm still reducing my doses of those to what I hope will be low dose for lifetime maintenance. I do drink milk and eat Ezekiel bread, though, which I know some people can't do. Those are good food sources of B's, and they may help me.

So, if your're scared of your B-complex, you might consider trying piecemeal. It's a little more expensive, and there is a little bit of a learning curve (figuring out what the most active forms are, what might be best for you to try, etc.), but I found it worth it.

Good luck, Adly!