1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
California 2014: IACFS/ME Day Two: Translating Science into Clinical Care: 21 March 2014
Searcher kicks us off on Day Two, with an autoimmunity overview, then we are into immunology and cytokines, we hear from Susan Levine and the allergy-related signatures study done with Lipkin et. al, a talk about paravirus B-19, Mady Hornig from CFI with more research, John Chia who...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Wikipedia entry on CFS

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by cigana, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Sean

Sean Senior Member

The Talk Page history for CFS on Wikipedia, over several years, will confirm Sciencewatcher's appalling track record.

But, but, but,... I thought they said it was a 'non-disease' of pampered bored white middle-class women, with nothing to complain about?

It's so hard keeping up with their latest explanation.
  2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    This is ideology driving the argument. They say whatever fits their theory. Evidence seems to be irrelevant. Instead they base things on citation: can they quote something from an authoritative source? It doesn't matter if its groundless, or if it in turns cites another source, which cites another, and spirals around till it disappears in puff of speculation.

I sent out an alert on Co-cure in 2007/8 (I don't recall which year) which was cited in Magical Medicine. In that I listed three pages of errors and distortions in the Wikipedia article. That was when people first contacted me and told me how many times they tried to fix things. Within hours its changed back, or that was the timeframe back then anyway.
  3. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    Many years ago, I changed it. I didn't do a brilliant job, not even a very good one, but it got deleted after a few minutes.
    alex3619 likes this.
  4. Wally

Wally Senior Member

I wish there was a way to expose the wizard behind the curtain.
    alex3619 likes this.
  5. justinreilly

justinreilly Stop the IoM & P2P! Adopt CCC!

NYC (& RI)
    I think that the Wikipedia article is very important in the long run, but I submit now we have to focus on the IOM, CCC, and next the other HHS definition landgrabs- NIH research definition and CDC. I think after those are dealt with, one of the very most important areas is to correct the Wikipedia article and I plan to do that. As a reminder, I am not allowed by Wikipedia rules to recruit people to edit the article, so I won't do that.
  6. Kina

Kina Moderation Team Lead

Ontario, Canada
    @Wally -- you can find the article that you referred to as no longer available online here.
    Snowdrop likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.