1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: A disease at war with itself
We can all agree that ME/CFS is a nasty disease, particularly in its severe form, but there are abundant nasty diseases in the world. What is unique and particularly confounding about our disease is that so much controversy surrounds it, and not only surrounds it, but invades it too.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Wikipedia 'editorial policy' - interesting article

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by natasa778, May 8, 2014.

1. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK

http://deanradin.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/now-it-becomes-clear.html

Valentijn, taniaaust1 and alex3619 like this.
  2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    The points made are generally good ones, but please be aware that the perspective is influenced by a parapsychology view.

Its ironic that some view topics in holistic medicine and parapsychology disdainfully, yet blindly accept psychogenic psychiatry. Everything requires an objective and rational view. Parapsychology is on the outside of established power, but psychogenic medicine isn't. I have no belief in parapsychology, or esoteric energy healing systems, and don't promote them, but at the same time they do far less harm than psychogenic psychiatry.

If they can get the evidence together, and perform quality experiments that demonstrate their claims, good luck to them. The same goes with psychogenic psychiatry. Yet to date I see no tangible evidence that psychogenic psychiatry is not pseudoscience, and lots of evidence that it is.

WillowJ, Snowdrop, Sidereal and 2 others like this.
  3. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    I heard on the radio that medicals doctors regularly do 'research' on widipedia. :jaw-drop: :eek: :bang-head:

4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

This wouldn't surprise me but the radio is probably an even worse source than Wikipedia.

The current magic font of wisdom in medicine is Evidence Based Medicine, yet its so severely flawed that I doubt it can be considered that much better than Wikipedia. Like Wikipedia a lot has to do with who is doing the work, and what biases they ignore. Some of EBM is undoubtedly very good, just like Wikipedia; some of it is unreliable, just like Wikipedia, and some of it is blatantly biased, just like Wikipedia.

Prejudice, bias and ignorance are pandemic throughout human society. Doctors and other experts fool themselves if they think they are above all that. Science evolved as a way to try to cut through the bias, but too often what passes for "science" these days should not be considered science at all. Even in science though there is, or at least should be, recognition that any scientific finding can be overturned. Some of the groups defending modern "science" seem to think that once written its always right.

Last edited: May 9, 2014
    Snowdrop and Valentijn like this.
  5. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    It was National Public Radio. I don't even listen to commercial radio (unless I come across a great song from my past while changing stations).

6. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Media get it wrong all the time. Then the wrong information gets picked up by other media, and it gets propagated around the world. This is the problem with the phenomena called churnalism. See my blog:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?entries/the-zombie-age-part-b.1334/

natasa778 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.