1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
August 8th - What is the one thing about suffering with severe ME that the world needs to know?
Andrew Gladman brings our coverage of the Understanding & Remembrance Day for Severe ME, airing the voice of patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Wikileaks: Pfizer's Dirty Tricks in Nigerian Drug Trial

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Mark, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Mark

Mark Acting CEO

Sofa, UK
    Another Big Pharma scandal. I read this direct on Wikileaks a few days ago, now seeing it in print:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/dec/09/wikileaks-cables-pfizer-nigeria

Pfizer trialled Trovan during an unprecedented epidemic of meningitis in Kano in north Nigeria in 1996.

The Nigerian state and federal authorities subsequently sued Pfizer claiming that the children were harmed by the Trovan.

Pfizer responded by hiring private investigators to unearth evidence of corruption to use as a bargaining chip against the Nigerian attorney general in pursuading him to drop the legal action. Blackmail, basically.

All of this was known to the US government and documented in the leaked cable, but was kept secret until now - thus collaborating in covering up both the corruption and the blackmail. Just one out of 250,000 secret cables...

All very interesting I think because it draws attention once again to the sort of behaviour that is endemic at the top of the medical industry - protected by the US government - and the sort of tactics employed. All of which seems to me quite relevant to the activities of pseudosceptics and their sceptic puppets in relation to ME/CFS. There are no lengths to which some people will not go in order to protect their a$$e$.

2. George

George waitin' fer rabbits

South Texas
    FREE SPEECH! FREE JULIAN!

(grins)

3. floydguy

floydguy Senior Member

Don't want to leave Big Pharma out on your side of the pond:

http://www.naturalnews.com/GlaxoSmithKline.html

4. Mark

Mark Acting CEO

Sofa, UK
    Oh for sure - I posted that one as well a week or two ago as well. Nothing for anybody to get all patriotic about here...

5. floydguy

floydguy Senior Member

Our Big Pharma is worse than your Big Pharma, rah, rah!!

6. xrayspex

xrayspex Senior Member

u.s.a.
    the film the constant gardner was well done depicting what pharma does in 3rd world pops

See more popular forum discussions.