Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Widespread Borrelia miyamotoi Tick-borne Fever Found in US

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease and Co-Infections' started by halcyon, Jun 14, 2015.

1. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

Article from Medscape

2. duncan

duncan Senior Member

There have been conflicting studies about transovarial transmission for Bb. The official stance is that it does not happen.

I suspect they may rethink that since B miyamotoi. (Different species, same Genus).

They also may want to rethink the public stance on the prevalence of miyamotoi. I recall like it was yesterday when the first US case appeared in rural western New Jersey in farm country. Now, in addition to Japan and Russia where it first was documented, it's being found in western Europe and in several US states (and I think they aren't really looking all that hard yet, especially since a good validated test has yet to be made available on a widespread basis).

In 2013, an NIH researcher more or less shrugged it off and opined to me the threat posed by the species wouldn't amount to much. I think this person also was from the same camp that maintained transovarial transmission of Bb didn't occur.

halcyon and Antares in NYC like this.
  3. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

Midichloria Mitichondrii is thought to be transmitted between ticks in that manner as well. 100% of female ticks have been found to be infected in some groups, and apparently it hangs out in their ovaries.

See more popular forum discussions.