• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Widespread Borrelia miyamotoi Tick-borne Fever Found in US

halcyon

Article from Medscape
Borrelia miyamotoi disease (BMD), a tick-borne infection that can cause more severe symptoms than Lyme disease, was first reported in the northeastern United States in 2013 but is becoming more common and should be considered in all areas where deer tick–transmitted infections are endemic, according to a case-series published online June 9 in the Annals of Internal Medicine.

The researchers suggest that BMD might be almost as common as human anaplasmosis among tick-exposed patients who present with fevers in the endemic areas, and they recommend that it be included in routine differential diagnosis protocols.

The timing of BMD peak incidence suggests that, unlike the transmission of Lyme disease pathogen Borrelia burgdorferi, the new infection might be transmitted by unfed larval ticks, who acquire it by transovarial transmission from the infected female tick. This has immediate clinical and public health implications.

duncan

There have been conflicting studies about transovarial transmission for Bb. The official stance is that it does not happen.

I suspect they may rethink that since B miyamotoi. (Different species, same Genus).

They also may want to rethink the public stance on the prevalence of miyamotoi. I recall like it was yesterday when the first US case appeared in rural western New Jersey in farm country. Now, in addition to Japan and Russia where it first was documented, it's being found in western Europe and in several US states (and I think they aren't really looking all that hard yet, especially since a good validated test has yet to be made available on a widespread basis).

In 2013, an NIH researcher more or less shrugged it off and opined to me the threat posed by the species wouldn't amount to much. I think this person also was from the same camp that maintained transovarial transmission of Bb didn't occur.

There have been conflicting studies about transovarial transmission for Bb. The official stance is that it does not happen.

I suspect they may rethink that since B miyamotoi. (Different species, same Genus).
Midichloria Mitichondrii is thought to be transmitted between ticks in that manner as well. 100% of female ticks have been found to be infected in some groups, and apparently it hangs out in their ovaries.