The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Why The Lancet won't reject the 'Graded Exercise Therapy' study

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Kenny Banya, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Kenny Banya

Kenny Banya Senior Member

Australia
    Money. Plain and simple.

If the retraction occurs, the researchers' careers will probably be over - you don't want that mark against you. So they would have been pressuring the relevant powers at The Lancet.

As for The Lancet, it loses circulation & hence revenue from becoming known as a sloppy journal. Also the Editor loses face, personally.

You just need to look at the parallel in the science of anthropogenic global warming - scientists learnt that some journals are poorer than others. Energy and Environment is a good example:
    http://journals.sagepub.com/home/eae
    Any reputable climate scientist will not touch this journal with a barge pole. It has poor to non-existent peer review & it was uncovered that the Editor, Dr. Sonja Boehmer-Christiansen, has an agenda against anthropogenic global warming - probably due to political (conservative) ideology:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonja_Boehmer-Christiansen (see Views on Climate Change)

If you know someone with money, instigate a lawsuit against The Lancet for printing misleading information - lies. Like I said, if you know someone with money. (Actually it wouldn't take much money - just intend to at least instigate the lawsuit with a complementary media announcement. Should do the trick)

2. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

doesn't everyone know that study is crap? I guess not.. the Mayo Clinic still has the GET therapy promoted as a 'cure'

ScottTriGuy, Webdog and xrayspex like this.
  3. Alvin2

Alvin2 If humans were rational...

If OMF determines a cause and pathway and shows scientifically why GET and CBT won't work publish that in Nature or Science, then beat Lancet over the head with it until they cry Uncle
    Worth asking Ron Davis to do in a future Q&A after they map out the disease pathway?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  4. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member

Like many HMO's, mine pulls information on their website from Healthwise. The recommendations are for GET and CBT, and PACE is used as evidence of effectiveness.

http://www.healthwise.org

David Tuller has written a bit about Healthwise.

I've written to Healthwise twice in the past year about the problems with the PACE Trial, and lack of evidence for the effectiveness of GET. I have not received a reply.

If you'd like to give feedback to Healthwise, here is their contact page:

http://www.healthwise.org/contactus.aspx

ebethc, ScottTriGuy and Jennifer J like this.
  5. moblet

moblet Unknown Quantity

Somewhere in Australia
    The moral of this - and other - stories is: don't "believe in science".

6. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    No, the moral is: don't believe in low quality science.

lilpink, Sean, Keela Too and 3 others like this.
  7. Kenny Banya

Kenny Banya Senior Member

Australia
    Spot on. Well said.
    I think it is worth questioning the standard of peer review by The Lancet

ScottTriGuy, Sean and Keela Too like this.
  8. Skippa

Skippa Anti-BS

Anyone who doesn't "believe" in science clearly doesn't understand science.

Anyone who blindly trusts science, clearly doesn't understand people.

(Eta: and just for good measure, anyone who blindly trusts people clearly doesn't understand money.)

9. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    Yup, and note my frequent pithy points on the British Establishment, all about "back scratching" and who you went ot university with, the power of the corporations, etc

See more popular forum discussions.