1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Pathway to Prevention (P2P) for ME/CFS: A Dangerous Process
Gabby Klein gives an overview of the P2P process, shedding light on the pitfalls with advice as to what we can do in protest ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Why taking glutamine can make your sleep worse

Discussion in 'Sleep' started by Beyond, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Beyond

Beyond 10% of discount in iHerb!--> PEZ915

Murcia, Spain
    So following the many websites, studies and people saying that glutamine is the Holy Grail for leaky gut or IBD I jumped and bought a kilogram of glutamine. I was planning to take it for two months. Now I think it sucks. Why? Since taking it my insomnia is back. And I found this:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0899900702007748

http://www.cortjohnson.org/blog/201...fs-puzzle-the-neuroinflammatory-series-pt-ii/

I should have thought twice. I knew glutamate could be elevated by glutamine supplementation but didnĀ“t thought much of it. Now I realise this was causing my insomnia. I will give some of it to my brother and see what happens, if it affects him negatively too I will be dumping 40 dollars worth of glutamine. It is better than taking every morning a tablespoon of glutamate.

@Valentijn the second link says N-acetylcsysteine (NAC) acts as a glutamate antagonist through facilitating the production of GABA. That might be why it helps you sleep!

So, I feel stupid. :cautious: And actually angry at myself for being so impulsive. I feel like I have been eating these days large doses of MSG snacks, which I always avoid like the plague. But I hope someone learns something from my experience.
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
    Little Bluestem and Valentijn like this.
  2. Dreambirdie

Dreambirdie work in progress

N. California
    Interesting. Thanks @Beyond for posting this.

I have been taking glutamine every night for more than a year, for leaky gut. I struggle with insomnia all the time ,and now I wonder if that could be contributing to my agitated nerves..?

Recently I began taking NAC each night and that seems to be helping me sleep a little better. Maybe it's time to chuck that glutamine completely.
    Beyond and Valentijn like this.
  3. Beyond

Beyond 10% of discount in iHerb!--> PEZ915

Murcia, Spain
    I took it first thing in the morning, around 15 grams. Have seen in forums commented that it causes insomnia in other people too. I might consider taking less in the future and see but for now a good week without glutamine is needed to dillucidate if that was causing the worse sleep. Sleep is number one in my book after pain, but I am "lucky" because my pain is not-so-frequent.

See more popular forum discussions.