• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

why not sublingual methylfolate

Johnmac

Thanks to @garyfritz and @ahmo. Good point about the mucosa/skin difference, garyfritz.

However, @ahmo said this earlier in this thread: "@Kimsie You might be interested to know that I also found that applying B12 and r5p transdermally I've needed about 1/2 what I did orally/sublingually. :)"

Yes, I will try it - no harm in that.

@ahmo, I didn't take less as I switched to sublingual in the process of ramping up. I.e. switching to SL was a stage of the ramping up.

@ahmo, the only oily things I've seen here in northern Cambodia, apart from the men with hair cream, are cooking oil & massage oil. There are a million lotions for women's skin also. I could probably find coconut oil if I looked. None of that quite fits the description of 'grease' tho - except maybe the women's skin lotions. What would your pick be?

Last edited:

Johnmac

I'll fine-tune that statement. They can last 45 mins when I am stationary & not eating or drinking. Walking seems to dissolve them quicker, presumably because of the agitation inside my mouth.

I am not normally stationary, & I eat & drink fairly constantly. I think that's the reason it's less time for me.

Huh. That's odd that they dissolve so quickly for you. I can wake in the night and put a quarter behind my lip, fall asleep, and there is still some of the pasty residue behind my lip in the morning!

Yes, if you're getting so many cavities, you definitely need a different solution. Maybe the Country Life will work for you. Or maybe you should consider a non-oral solution like @ahmo's trick, or the oil.

Johnmac

MethylB12 molecules are too big. To be absorbed under the tongue, they have to be quite tiny, and to be absorbed under the gum they have to be even smaller.

Sublingual B12 helps because it's being swallowed, very slowly, as it dissolves. And doing it slowly might very well be helpful.

I recall doing a search on @Valentijn's assertion last year, & only found one paper - which tended to support his view. Nonetheless "sublingual" worked for me - tho whether it was real sublingual penetration, or just a slow drip to the stomach, I didn't know.

On the other hand I now take my methyl B12 (& m-folate) transdermally, & got lots of euphoria the first few days (& still have some 2 weeks later), which suggests serotonin, which suggests mB12.

That is, I think the methyl B12 and the methylfolate are going through my skin. (I haven't crashed, & was able to lower the m-folate dose by 1/3.) If the mB12 goes through my skin, does that suggest it would also go through the mucous membrane in my mouth?

I don't have a strong opinion on this - just offering what little evidence I have garnered.

garyfritz

I respect @Valentijn's opinion, but I'm very certain sublingual B12 soaks in through my oral mucosa. I sometimes wake in the night with agitation and muscle tension. I take one quarter of a Country Life sublingual (between my lip and gum), and my muscles start to relax within just 2 to 3 minutes – even if I'm careful not to swallow. And I'm lying in bed so it's not unintentionally gravity-feeding down my throat. I'm getting benefit long before it reaches my stomach.

Last edited:

Johnmac

Sounds pretty plausible to me. My transdermal experience with mB12 was that I got lots of euphoria the first few days. That did strongly suggest it's going through the skin.

It's a bit academic now, but I'll ask Greg about the literature on mB12 crossing skin.