• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Why isn't there a section in the forums for vaccines?

Hi People,

Hope you're all having a good day today.

Why isn't there a section in these forums regarding vaccines for the various viruses related to ME/CFS? Lord knows there are plenty of viruses involved; EBV, HHV6 CMV, JC virus, etc., etc.

I know there has been some limited success regarding HSV1/2 and considering that its biology is similar to the other human herpes viruses, that would suggest that similar strategies might apply to HHV3-6.

Paul

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
Hi People,

Hope you're all having a good day today.

Why isn't there a section in these forums regarding vaccines for the various viruses related to ME/CFS? Lord knows there are plenty of viruses involved; EBV, HHV6 CMV, JC virus, etc., etc.

I know there has been some limited success regarding HSV1/2 and considering that its biology is similar to the other human herpes viruses, that would suggest that similar strategies might apply to HHV3-6.

Paul

I guess the reason is that once you have ME/CFS, if it was triggered by an immune response to a virus, then a vaccine is too late. Vaccines may stop you getting viral infections but once you have had the infection they are irrelevant.

Hip

I did start a thread on the idea of developing a coxsackievirus B vaccine and adding it to the vaccine schedule, and examining what benefits this would lead to (possibly lower rates of ME/CFS, sudden heart attacks, and type 1 diabetes too):

Coxsackievirus B vaccine appears feasible, and might conceivably abolish ME/CFS in future

Of little use for those who already have ME/CFS though.

Last edited:

Hip

Vaccines are dangerous.

So are road vehicles. Around 40,000 people die each year in the US because of them. But we don't even consider banning road transportation, because the benefits far outweigh the risks.

Let's say you introduce a coxsackievirus B vaccine, and for the sake or argument, let's say it occasionally triggers some cases of ME/CFS, but overall let's say the vaccine prevents 20 cases of ME/CFS for every one case it triggers. Is it worth putting up with that one case of ME/CFS, in order to prevent 20 cases?

Last edited:

Neunistiva

Even if vaccines did all the bad things those afraid of them erroneously claimed they do, vaccines would still be the best discovery humanity has made so far. Millions upon millions of children and adults are alive because of them.

And as much as I hate my severe ME/CFS, as much as I hate being bedridden, I am alive and I still have a chance being cured one day. Dead babies never get that chance.